Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
slick SL-50 review and clip

Thread: slick SL-50 review and clip

Post Thanks / Like

Default slick SL-50 review and clip

So here is my take on the Slick SL-50 I got a few days back.

First, ordering and delivery was fast and flawless, although they were out of stock for a long time when I first started to look. As Robert noted, shipping is expensive at about $130 (to Canada) when you consider the guitar costs about $260 or so.

If you want just the audio demo find it at the bottom. Otherwise…

The neck/head: Generally, I like the neck a lot. Skinnier at the nut than I am used to but no big deal. Frets are very well done for this price range, no sharp ends, even and clean mediums. The head is pretty Fender like. The tuners are very solid, but a bit odd that the posts and tuners are silver while the keys themselves are brass/goldish. This is repeated on other hardware. Don’t know if its price or a deliberate decision but it doesn’t bother me, so…
    The other thing I like about the neck is that the back is virtually unfinished. Nice different feel, reminds me of a neck I had on a Parts-caster years ago.

IMG_0028.jpg

Other reviews have said the action was high out of the box, but this one wasn’t. Quite low. Nut tapers to the high E, which is very low to the frets. In fact, I will probably adjust the string height at the bridge to better facilitate slide.
    But this thing was very playable out of the box.

IMG_0029.jpg
    Body: As noted earlier, the faux classic wear and tear appearance looks cheap to me, but not enough to bug me a lot. Pleased with the wraparound bridge, although I suspect the fact that it is inset into the body will make string changing a chore.
    Really like the big, rugged volume and selector controls. Seem sturdy as heck. No tone control, obviously.

IMG_0030.jpg

Pups: This is the highlight for me. Not wild about the big holes they are cut into, but they are very sturdy. And the sound won me over. The neck pup is a little spiky alone, and no tone control to soften that. But I was impressed how I could mitigate that with volume and lighter touch. This position will be useful on our country stuff.

Should say here that generally the pups are very loud, just this side of my LP but louder than my Fenders and my Epi Sheraton. I was looking for this so am happy.
    The middle position is a pleasure for me. Quacky, nice tone variety with touch and volume, woody. Will use this a lot.

The neck pup is woody, but a little on the dull sounding side. Very nice for sittin and pickin in the practice lounge, will want a little boost and muscle on stage.
    Overall, a very worthwhile investment at this price. The guitar will be coming out with me for sure, at least I think so now.
    Below is the audio clip. Very simple. Slick through pedal board, only reverb on and only because the amp, a Mesa TA 15 doesn’t have a tank. Order will be obvious, bridge to neck. A few beefed up clips at the end where I kicked the Sparkle Drive, gain and clean set at zero, tone ¾ to the treble side.

Sorry this isn’t more sophisticated. Must get proper audio recording stands etc for iPhone and/or iPad.

https://app.box.com/s/3f1qos3u1l026a3wm70w74f5shh2sded
    Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! That shipping is a major gouging though. I didn't think that the neck was overly bright. I thought the bridge could maybe use a little taming, but that's not uncommon on single-coil guitars. A little volume roll-down can work wonders sometimes. I agree with you on the feel of necks. The less finish, the better.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good.....nice Tele quack on the bridge. Sounded great with the SD pedal. How's it sound for slide?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks gents. Yeah the shipping and customs is killer. The axe is good for slide, although I haven't yet raised the action on the high side which it really needs to give me some breathing room. It's even lower action than my LP so some adjustments are in order.

And I do love that sparkle drive. I keep the clean and drive set to zero and just use the tone to adjust. It adds some fine grit without even using most of the settings! It was a good investment as was this guitar
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Upgrading my rating here after taking the Slick to rehearsal. Didn't have my Mesa so an old Fender Twin sat in. Very good tone through that amph. This thing is getting better, not worse. It especially likes a bit of juice from the Blues Driver, Sparkle Drive or Full-Drive 2. Also reacts well to as bit of light compression through the one I love, a Diamond. Seriously, a lot of tone and attitude for modest price.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Been looking at those myself. Thanks for sharing!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Helliott, has anything changed in terms of how much you like the guitar? I hope you didn't sell it.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I can vouch for these Slick guitars from GFS. Back late last year, I decided to pick up an SL60, their double cutaway Melody Maker clone with P90's, when it was on sale for a mere $229. There's a full write-up with pics here: http://www.byocelectronics.com/board...hp?f=7&t=52666

Then back in May, I started salivating over their Strat knockoff, the SL57, which had garnered a Guitar Player's mag "Editor's Pick", surpassing some guitars 2 - 3 times as expensive in a comparo of inexpensive axes. They were marked down from $269 to $229, and then GFS ran a "10% off everything" deal over Memorial Day on top of that, so I ended up getting one for a few cents over $206! You can check that one out here: http://www.byocelectronics.com/board...hp?f=7&t=53380

Both guitars are just flat amazing values for the money. The pickups are particularly good, and there must be something to the brass saddles and trem block, because they both ring out with great tone and sustain.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

No, nothing has changed. This is a good value in my books. Plays like it's worth 600-700 but only costs 300 absent the silly shipping. Have not used it for many gigs as I'm sticking with two strats, but I wouldn't hesitate to use this in a show.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't been to GFS in ages. Never heard of Slick Guitars. I like the sound, as per your attachment, and the way it looks. It has a cool vibe to it. Enjoy.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

The relicing thing would drive me crazy. Of course, that's not a Slick-specific issue. I know a lot of people love the look and feel. Not my thing. But, to each their own.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    The relicing thing would drive me crazy. Of course, that's not a Slick-specific issue. I know a lot of people love the look and feel. Not my thing. But, to each their own.
    I'm of that same opinion. But the Slick guitars sound great, play great and cost very little, so I'll live with the relicing....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!