Thread: So Into You

Post Thanks / Like

Default So Into You

I feel a bit like I'm hogging this thread, but then again it's not getting much other action to speak of. Perhaps more will post here? Anyhow, here's the band doing the Atlanta Rhythm Section classic at a local bar. Hope ya like it.

https://app.box.com/s/e0rexvknuky967rldtz10z070aucstmu
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

2. Likes Algonquin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice stuff......good version. Maybe put the recorder near the lead git amp? The drums and bass come through loud and clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks pie. Always try for a central location, but it depends on where the people sit, and lately they've been jammed in so you gotta take what's available. Hear your point though.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work!

What amp and guitar and pedals did you use? I like the tone and playing!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Great job! I think the background vocals and the unisono vocal/guitar lines kicked me most.
    Very smooth guitar sound that stands out in the mix - really good stuff here.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Robert and Jimi. Robert, it's the Strat through Mesa Lone Star, gain at medium, pedal just Sparkle Drive turned on, but without the gain and clean active, in other words set to 0. I find that pedal just adds some guts and character to the sound but keeps it transparent. Thanks all for listening.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

The Lone Star is one fine amph.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

It is indeed. Five watts, 15 or 30 and it's good for just about any size gig. Only knock is the weight, and that can be mitigated by casters. Expensive amph, but worth every penny given its longevity and flexibility. Love the TA 15, too, which I may try out someday soon on a tiny room.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

What is the difference between the Lone Star and the Lone Star Special?

11. Likes Algonquin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff Helliott! The synchronization of you and the singer at 1:52 are worth the price of admission

Cheers
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

have been asked this before. Have played a classic and found it an entirely different amph. Heavier, less headroom. The power amp section is different from what I have been told. But I am a troglodyte beyond that, sorry. The special has a different sound from other Mesas I have played, although the TA 15 comes close in some settings. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    y diff
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David. Much appreciated.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott View Post
    have been asked this before. Have played a classic and found it an entirely different amph. Heavier, less headroom. The power amp section is different from what I have been told. But I am a troglodyte beyond that, sorry. The special has a different sound from other Mesas I have played, although the TA 15 comes close in some settings. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
    y diff
    What does this mean? Classic? I'm lost.

Anyway, I found this out:

Lone Star

The Lone Star's Multi-Watt power amp featuring Duo-Class allows you three power options that are channel assignable via 10/50/100-watt power switches: Choose two power tubes operating in pure Class A (single-ended), producing 10 watts, or two or four power tubes running in time-honored Class A/B, producing 50 or 100 watts respectively.

2 x 12" with C90 Speakers
    Bias Select Switch (6L6/EL34)
    Fixed Bias for Consistent, Maintenance Free Performance
    Selectable Diode or Tube Rectifier Tracking - Patent Pending
    2 Fully Independent Channels
    Channel 1=Boutique Vintage Clean/Classic Breakup - Channel 2=Clone of Ch 1 or Cascading High Gain
    Drive/Clean Switch activates Ch 2 "Drive" Control (Multi-Stage Cascading Gain Circuit)
    Thick/Normal/Thicker Voicing Switch (Channel 2)
    Full Power/Tweed "Variac" Switch
    All-Tube, Long Spring Reverb with Bright/Warm Reverb Tone Switch
    Output Level Control (over all channels when activated)
    Footswitchable Solo Level Control
    All-Tube FX Loop with Send Level Control (over all channels when activated)
    True "Hard" Bypass Switch that removes FX Loop, Output Level & Solo Level Controls from signal path
    Slave Out w/Level Control
    Fan Cooled with On/Off Switch
    External Switching Jacks for Channels 1/2, Solo & Reverb
    All Aluminum Chassis
    2 Button Footswitch (Channel 1/2 & Solo)
    Slip Cover
    Casters

Lone Star Special

The magic sound of EL84s running pure Class A
    Where its big brother - the Lone Star - boasts the huge warmth and headroom of 6L6 power, the Lone Star Special delivers seductive tone and an elastic feel. This Lone Star is light on weight, but heavy on personality. With its fabulously expressive and versatile pre-amp, plus the vintage mojo of EL-84s running pure Class A - and you've got a new classic amp.

Handbuilt in Petaluma, California
    Rectifier Tracking (5- & 15-watt Mode = Tube, 30-watt = Diode)
    2 Fully-independent channels, each with Gain, Treble, Mid, Bass, Presence, Reverb & Master controls
    All-tube, long spring reverb with Bright/Warm reverb tone switch
    Output level control, footswitchable Solo Level control
    All-tube FX loop with Send Level control
    True Hard-bypass switch that removes FX Loop, Output Level & Solo Level controls from signal path
    Slave Out with Level control
    External Switching Jacks for Channels 1/2, Solo & Reverb
    All-aluminum chassis, fan-cooled with On/Off switch
    2-button footswitch (Channel 1/2 & Solo) and slipcover included

So I'm assuming you have the Lone Star Special.

Post Thanks / Like

I have often heard the Lone Star referred to as either the classic version or the special. Clearly that's not the official name, rather it's simply Lone Star and Lone Star Special. In Mesa forums and discussions you often hear the classic reference, but apparently that is colloquial. Yes, mine is a Special, something like 7-8 years old.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. I'm guessing that's a Blues Driver on top of it!

Is the clean channel similar to any Fenders you've tried?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, BD Waza craft, which I love. Too many OD pedals for a little board right now. But they all do something different -- the Sparkle as I have noted, but also the old Full Drive 2. Board is crowded.

Re clean channel comparison (the so-called dirty channel has a world of potential without the drive engaged, too):

I think it's pretty subjective, but yes it is Fender-ish which makes sense sense that is what Randall was going for when he started modding. But it's not that similar. I find it mid-ier and with more smooth sustain. I think it sounds like a Mesa, a little like Fenders and nothing like Marshall's, which is what I was looking for. You can't get the scooped sound like you can get from an old Fender, but you can get anything else other than heavy metal stuff which I don't need anyway.
    helliott in Hamilton