Thread: Tubes and typical tone - Laney/Fender?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tubes and typical tone - Laney/Fender?

I'm looking for a tube combo amp w/a 12" speaker. I've been using a Vox VT30 for several years, and find that my favorite amp models are the Fenders, esp the 'Modded Cl (blackface)', and the Tweed 2x12 and 4x10. The Vox models are OK but not my favorite sound, as is the case with demos I've heard of Vox tube amps (too bright). The Vox AC4C1-12 has a lot going for it but it is a top boost type circuit - again, brighter than I like. I've seen reference to EL84 equipped amps being more 'vox-ish' but I notice that many current Fender amps (Blues Jr, Hotrod Pro Jr,) have EL84's , while the Super Champ has 6V6's. I've been looking at the Laney Cub 12R, which has EL84's and in most of the youtube demos does sound more 'british', though here are a couple that have more of the sound I like. Can anyone with experience chime in with thoughts? I know that StingX and MarkB have both written about their Laney's here - can you get a Fenderish sound out of this amp? Any other suggestions for $400 or less?

"GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

http://carvinamplifiers.com/products...att-triode-amp

Carvin Vintage 16......pentode/triode......made in USA. Great amps with fabulous reputation. $399.00

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Pie - that sure looks/sounds interesting..! I wonder if I can get it quiet enough with good tone at the 5w setting? I read a comment from deaa noting that tube amps at low volumes never sound that good...

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Tube amps in general do need to be turned up to realize tonal capabilities. I use a Blackstar HT5 for home practice and I can crank it without peeling paint. It sounds great because the tube(s) are engaged. If I was using a 50W amp at the same volume levels it would not sound as good to my ear.
    I have a Peavey Delta Blues. It's a great amp and I love it. When I turn it down to right around 3 there is a point at which it will not gain volume when I hit it with a pedal. The pedal can be dimed and it will distort but not get louder. Just a hair past that point and BAM, much volume. The clean tone at that volume point is thin and lifeless but again, just a hair more V and the richness starts to kick in.

Chosing the right wattage for venue and desired levels is important to tone. For many years I have preferred relatively low wattage amps and mic'ing them up as opposed to just a loud *** amp. How low though depends on the output of the pups and the desired volume levels.

Post Thanks / Like

The Carvin's are reputed to have fabulous tone. A bunch of guys, on another Forum, have various amps of the Carvin Vintage series and they all love them.

Post Thanks / Like

A band mate of mine awhile back had one of those Carvin Vintage 16 amps and a Fender Deville. I like the Carving much better. They do sound great and they are affordable.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

A 5 watt tube amp cranked is awfully loud at home.

This could maybe work http://www.hotoneaudio.com/products/nanolegacy/79.html

I have the Purple Wind and it's kinda cool.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you find this stuff, Robert?! Sounds good - I see that it's a SS amp, which is why the 5 watts cranked is manageable? And only $100.00...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    A 5 watt tube amp cranked is awfully loud at home.
    The Laney has a 0.75 watt input as well as the full 14 watts, which would be really useful, and a nice set of controls plus reverb...