Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Finally built a guitar...

Thread: Finally built a guitar...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally built a guitar...

...not that I can take much credit for the effort involved. It's your basic partscaster or Frankenstrat, or whatever you want to call it. I was amazed at how fast & easy the assembly process was--once I had the parts assembled, I knocked it off in an evening. If you can drive a screw and make a decent solder connection, you can handle one of these. The genius of Leo Fender deserves all the credit.

The project started when one of the regulars over at the BYOC forums put a loaded Strat pickguard up for sale. Nothing special about that, per se, but the pickup set caught my eye. It's a mixed set of Duncan single coil-sized humbuckers that they call the "Everything Axe" set. It consists of a Little '59 for the neck position, a "Duckbucker" for the middle, and a JB Jr. for the bridge. I didn't have anything like it and he posted it at a bargain price, so I jumped on it. Now, what to do with it??

While mulling this question, I happened upon a body from a Squier CV '60s Strat posted on my local CL. Everything had been stripped out of it--nothing but wood & finish, but obviously never used/dead mint. Perfect! The guy was asking $80, I offered $65 and we settled at $70. What he did with the rest of the guitar, I have no idea. Since the guy is located 30 miles away from me, a coworker of mine who lives right near him picked it up for me last weekend, so I never got a chance to chat with him about it.

The rest of the guitar consists of a Squier CV '50s neck and a full CV hardware set, both of which I got from The Stratosphere, with whom I've dealt on several occasions in the past for Strat and Tele parts. I think the owner must buy Fender & Squier guitars new and just parts them out. Anyway, the neck & hardware were all brand new, as well. So between the loaded p/g, the CL body and the Stratosphere parts, I've now got what's essentially a brand new Squier Classic Vibe '50s/'60s Strat hybrid with a killer set of Duncan aftermarket pickups. Total of everything came to $400, not including shipping. I've also got a set of white Strat knobs coming, and some Schaller strap lock buttons, to finish it off. I call it the "Humcaster".

The p/g assembly originally came with just a volume control, but I added a master tone control using a push/pull pot, and wired that to switch the middle "Duckbucker" pickup to run the coils in series or parallel mode. Duncan actually recommends that this pickup model be wired to run the coils in parallel "for vintage Strat tones", but I wanted the flexibility to run in series as well. Certainly has a lot more b@lls in that mode, and the output matches the Little '59 (neck) and JB Jr. (bridge) a lot better.

After I assembled the guitar, one "operational issue" had to be addressed, though. As is often encountered when matching up different necks & bodies, the neck angle was a bit too low and the guitar fretted out something awful on the upper frets, even with plenty of relief in the neck and the saddles up as high as they would go. So the neck had to be shimmed to raise the angle a bit. Two business cards inserted between the neck and body at the top of the neck pocket did the trick. I was even able to take out some of the neck relief and lower the saddles back down to a normal height. The Humcaster is playing perfectly now! The humbuckers sound great--they retain more Strat character than I thought they would--and the guitar looks pretty good, too, IMO.

Coupla pics:

Last edited by duhvoodooman; January 13th, 2016 at 12:05 PM.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful guitar!!

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty cool! I've changed an awful lot on my Squier '51. By far the hardest part was the new saddles. Getting the height just right and the intonation took more trial and error than I was anticipating.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Hope you like your creation!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

very nice!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great! - and sounds...? Compared to your other strats?
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very cool!

I've stayed away from doing the same since I have no experience with neck pocket adjustment problems.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks nice and glossy Congrats !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of months ago, I came across a neck from a Squier Classic Vibe Simon Neil '60s Strat at The STRATosphere and thought I'd try it on this partscaster I built a while back. For some reason, I just prefer rosewood fretboards on sunburst Strats. Being a Squier CV neck, it wasn't very expensive, so I figured what the heck? Turned out that it fit the body like a glove--no shim needed on this one--and it's very comfortable to play. I thought it was a great looking guitar before, but I like it even better now.

I'd never heard of him before, but apparently Simon Neil is the singer/guitarist for the Scottish band Biffy Clyro, whom I'd likewise never heard of before. Don't know anything about Simon's music, but I sure like the neck on his Strat!

Of course, this change left me with a spare maple CV Strat neck. Seemed a shame to have that just lying around, so THIS HAPPENED.

New pics:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!