Thread: Back to the Original

Post Thanks / Like

Default Back to the Original

Google Now suggested looking at the Squier 51 owners thread on TDPRI. On there they were talking about the resistance of the original pickups on the 2005 editions (quite a bit different from the current versions). That got me thinking. I was struggling with the super hot 26K Lace Hot Gold bridge pickup I put in the bridge. There's just to much low mid which make it somewhat inarticulate. So I dug out my stock bridge pup and put it back in. After discovering that the pickups were out of phase with each other and fixing that, I find that I actually like the stock better. It seems to play more nicely with the neck 6K Lace Hot Gold. No articulation problems here. It is quite bright, but a quick adjustment on the amph took care of that. Sometimes the best solutions are the cheapest ones.

I'm going to keep it there for a while and make sure no warts come out. If not the Lace will probably be heading for EvilBay.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Google Now huh? That is new to me - I will check it out!

Yeah, cheap solutions can be great sometimes. China has knack for that approach.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not even sure they call it Google Now anymore. It's there by default on Android phones. It'll occasionally bring up cards you may be interested based on what you've been searching for.

WRT the stock pickup: I was reminded of the fact that it can get a bit shrill in single coil mode. I backed it away from the strings a little bit and that seems to have helped. I don't think I'd use the bridge single coil alone very often. It sounds great combined with the neck though. It sounds great combined with the neck in both single coil and humbucking modes.

It's just kind of funny that I went from a very powerful pickup with too much lows/lower mids to a more PAF-ish output pickup with maybe a bit too much treble. One thing is for sure, it's easier to dial out treble than to dial it in when it isn't there.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    It's just kind of funny that I went from a very powerful pickup with too much lows/lower mids to a more PAF-ish output pickup with maybe a bit too much treble. One thing is for sure, it's easier to dial out treble than to dial it in when it isn't there.
    I'm having further second thoughts. The bridge pickup, even in full humbucker mode, is still piercingly bright. Not sure where I'm going to go with this. I'd prefer not to throw a bunch more money around. Maybe I'll try the LACE again since that at least wouldn't cost anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried rolling off the tone knob on the guitar? I often do that and I find it helps me get a better tone.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

The 51 doesn't have one. I have tried rolling back the volume a bit, but the pot is not the greatest taper. To get a tone roll off, the volume ends up dropping significantly.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah of course. Sorry I wasn't paying attention. Maybe it's time to install one!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I reinstalled the Lace and now I remember why I took it out. The two pickups are diametrically different. The original is shrill, the Lace is all lows and no high end. Not sure what I'm going to do now. I guess I should have just gone with a Screamin' Demon like I had before.

The funny thing is both pickups sound great when combined with the neck Lace Hot Gold. If I never wanted to use the bridge pickup alone I wouldn't have a problem. But who wants that?

Post Thanks / Like

Or maybe I'm just an idiot. I did some research on other pickups but really didn't want to spend money. So I finally followed LACE's advise and moved the pickup as close to the strings as I reasonably could. Counter-intuitively, it sounds less boomy and more full-spectrum. I still don't think it'll ever be my favorite pickup, but there is less urgency to change anything. I just need to find something I can stick in the neck side of the mounting ring so I can get the pickup to sit flat.