Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't Give Up Jipes Band new album

Post Thanks / Like

"Down in Hollywood" has some serious funky groove going on! Well done, Jipes.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    "Down in Hollywood" has some serious funky groove going on! Well done, Jipes.
    Thanks a lot Man, Ry Cooder's music is such a hapiness to cover, his 1976 album Bop T'ill Drop is a must have !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    I'll definitely be checking this out.
    +1 on that...
    Smokin' stuff man!

Am I seeing things, or are those AKG 451-ck1 on the overheads as well as the hat?

Saw the 214s later on which are too new for me to have had a chance to try, but I imagine they were fairly airy and quiet, yes?

Keep me posted when a high res PCM is available?

Thanks,

John

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jipes – the cd came two days ago – record time! I don’t get anything from the states that fast... The cd is great, and I am really enjoying listening to it. The band is really tight with great playing and singing all around, and the production is really nice, open and well balanced. Congratulations! It would be fun to hear you play live.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Hey Jipes – the cd came two days ago – record time! I don’t get anything from the states that fast... The cd is great, and I am really enjoying listening to it. The band is really tight with great playing and singing all around, and the production is really nice, open and well balanced. Congratulations! It would be fun to hear you play live.
    Many Thanks Ted you're our first International order I'm really glad the CD came on decent time and that you enjoy it ! Do you have so far a favorite tune ? Thanks for the support we really deeply appreciate
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

Pardon my boneheadednes Jipes,
    I only see links for the studio teaser and streaming/download link.

Is there a link to pick up the CD?

This is what I'm hoping to get a hold of, or the same quality or better if download is the only option for USA buyers.

Thanks

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just curious - how do you handle the licensing of cover tunes? How much does it cost?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by headstack View Post
    Pardon my boneheadednes Jipes,
    I only see links for the studio teaser and streaming/download link.

Is there a link to pick up the CD?

This is what I'm hoping to get a hold of, or the same quality or better if download is the only option for USA buyers.

Thanks
    Hello Headstack, you go this link
    http://www.mojo.fr/boutique.html and choose the Paypal option. For the USA the postage cost 5,15€ so if you could just add 3€ by paypal to ùy account it would cover perfectly the cost
    Guitars:

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Just curious - how do you handle the licensing of cover tunes? How much does it cost?
    The CD is declared at SACEM SDRM which is the french organism to pay the copyright it has cost us around 480€ for the 500CD
    Guitars:

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

So you have to sell quite a few CDs to break even.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    So you have to sell quite a few CDs to break even.
    Oh Yes but it's not the reason for making this record you know if I wanted to make profit out of music specially in France I would rather choose another style of music The most important s to celebrate our 20years together as a band that's not so common those days

we wil of course be very happy if many people would buy the album and enjoy our blues
    Guitars:

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

Understand completely.

Sent from my Macintosh telephone using Tapatalk.

Post Thanks / Like

Jipes my friend,

Onl today I had the chance to listen to the entire album. To be honest - it's world class! The mix is superb and I totally dig the room on the record (reverb). It sounds very natural. Let me guess - you recorded most of the stuff "live" not one by one. Your guitar sounds extremely direct. The only little little thing (please excuse me ;-)) is that I find that the solo sound could be a tiny bit beefier in the bass/mid spectrum (it still sounds great, you know what I mean Jipes) - did you use a TS circuit to boost the solos? The vocals - oh man - very entertaining and classic - that timbre is awesome. Your band has that layed back groove that can only be produced by feeling the music and exploring the boundries of a song. I love all of your interpretations, especially Cold Shot. It features this great groove that differs from the original, but it fits as perfect as a glove! You did not overdose the brass parts, which I really find a clever move! It's the right dosis of brass here and there and it finds perfection in Down In Hollywood.
    Thumbs Up - you did everything perfect with that jubilee album!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
    Jipes my friend,

Onl today I had the chance to listen to the entire album. To be honest - it's world class! The mix is superb and I totally dig the room on the record (reverb). It sounds very natural. Let me guess - you recorded most of the stuff "live" not one by one. Your guitar sounds extremely direct. The only little little thing (please excuse me ;-)) is that I find that the solo sound could be a tiny bit beefier in the bass/mid spectrum (it still sounds great, you know what I mean Jipes) - did you use a TS circuit to boost the solos? The vocals - oh man - very entertaining and classic - that timbre is awesome. Your band has that layed back groove that can only be produced by feeling the music and exploring the boundries of a song. I love all of your interpretations, especially Cold Shot. It features this great groove that differs from the original, but it fits as perfect as a glove! You did not overdose the brass parts, which I really find a clever move! It's the right dosis of brass here and there and it finds perfection in Down In Hollywood.
    Thumbs Up - you did everything perfect with that jubilee album!
    Thanks thousand times Jimi, yes indeed it was mostly recorded as a live trio, we did only one or two takes to keep it as natural as possible. As for the guitar sound, yes that's the way I play on stage I cut off most of the medium and I use a custom Ts 808 pedal designed by the guy who build my Tweed Vibrolux amp.

As for the groove I guess we re just getting old thanks a lot for your nice praise coming from an excellent musician it really touch me deeply
    Guitars:

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Jimi - the more I listen the more I like it. Today I was listening in the house for the first time (as opposed to in the car). As I said before, , the production is great and the sound so well balanced, and as Jimi said the room sound is perfect. I was also impressed with the way that you put your own very unique take on each tune and make it your own.

As I was listening, my sister came in. She stopped and listened and said, "I like this, it's really good. Who is it?". I told her she wouldn't know the band, and asked her if she noticed anything (I didn't know how else to say it). She said, "What do you mean? The guitar is good, the band is good and the singer is really good. Am I supposed to know or hear something else?" So I explained how I came by the cd through knowing Jipes on a forum. She paused a moment and then said, 'So, do you mean that the band is French?!" When I said yes, she looked really surprised, and then suspicious, and said, "No way! They're French? The singer is French? I can't tell!" I should say also that my sister has studied some French on her own, so she is not deaf to the sound of the language.

Now for the funny part. After that conversation, as I was listening I was saying to myself, "I wonder who the singer is - I should check the liner notes". So I look, but I can't find him... there is Jipes on guitar, Ben on bass and Mitch on drums, with all the other musicians - no singer. So I go get my glasses and look again, and then I see it 'Jipes - vocal and guitar'! I had read right past that, assuming that it just said 'guitar'. Wow! Now I am really impressed, Jipes!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

16. Likes Tig*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    I agree with Jimi - the more I listen the more I like it. Today I was listening in the house for the first time (as opposed to in the car). As I said before, , the production is great and the sound so well balanced, and as Jimi said the room sound is perfect. I was also impressed with the way that you put your own very unique take on each tune and make it your own.

As I was listening, my sister came in. She stopped and listened and said, "I like this, it's really good. Who is it?". I told her she wouldn't know the band, and asked her if she noticed anything (I didn't know how else to say it). She said, "What do you mean? The guitar is good, the band is good and the singer is really good. Am I supposed to know or hear something else?" So I explained how I came by the cd through knowing Jipes on a forum. She paused a moment and then said, 'So, do you mean that the band is French?!" When I said yes, she looked really surprised, and then suspicious, and said, "No way! They're French? The singer is French? I can't tell!" I should say also that my sister has studied some French on her own, so she is not deaf to the sound of the language.

Now for the funny part. After that conversation, as I was listening I was saying to myself, "I wonder who the singer is - I should check the liner notes". So I look, but I can't find him... there is Jipes on guitar, Ben on bass and Mitch on drums, with all the other musicians - no singer. So I go get my glasses and look again, and then I see it 'Jipes - vocal and guitar'! I had read right past that, assuming that it just said 'guitar'. Wow! Now I am really impressed, Jipes!
    Thanks a lot for this very nice quote coming from your sister, I take it thousand times Most of the people who know me and are used to hear me speaking are usually surprised when they hear me perfoming the first time. They all say that I have somehow a totally different voice ???? As for myself after 30 years singing I still have a tough time to listen to myself singing but I guess it's the same for every singer

I really appreciated what you pointed out concerning the way of getting the songs done in our own way that's a very nice compliment ! I've been looking for years to be a kind of myself despite my big influences which are B.B King and Buddy Guy and more recently the great Tab Benoit (reason why I mostly play Thinline Telecasters)
    Guitars:

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Jimi and Ted I have to ask you for a favor, would you give me your permission to use your kind words of appreciation to advertise our album ?
    Guitars:

Amps:

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jipes,

Of course!! Feel free to use my feedback!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot Jimi
    Guitars:

Amps:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast