Thread: NAD - Super Champ XD Frankenamp

Post Thanks / Like

Default NAD - Super Champ XD Frankenamp

Finally have a tube amp to play with! I tried a used Laney Cub 12r, but really didn't care for the sound, and still preferred my Vox vt30. I have really loved the Vox, which taught me that clean Fender tone is what I most like. I was also feeling that something with a 12" speaker would sound 'bigger', but there isn't anything in the Fender line of smaller amps that has a 12 (except a Super Champ head with the 1x12 cab, but I wanted a combo). By luck I found a listing on ebay for a Super Champ XD that had been moved into an old Princeton cab with a 12" Celestion (a budget model Rocket 50). It's a little funky - there is extra space on either side of the head, but I love the way it sounds at first play! A big step up from the trusty vt30, and I look forward to getting to know this amp better. So far I really love just the clean channel straight up. Given the fact that the next Fender tube amp up is the Blues Junior at twice the price, the SChamp is a pretty good deal. Thanks to all of you who recommended this amp to me in an earlier thread!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! I've actually never played that amp, but I know many love it.

Enjoy!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Ted I wish you tons of fun and great music with this new amp. I heard quite a lot of good words about those amps
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool! Super Champ's are awesome sounding little amps.
    I have the X2 head running into a 12" WGS Reaper for some beautiful tones.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

5. Likes FrankenFretter*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the SCXD. I was tempted to get one but Vood's heavily modded Blues Jr became available and I had to jump on that instead. Good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! Crank that clean channel, and twang away!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

There was a problem with the Celestion speaker, so the seller sent me an old Eminence that he had around. It's unamed, but has a huge magnet and I found a description that lists it as a 100 watt speaker. The amp is now really loud, so it must have greater sensitivity than the Celestion. It also now feels like it weighs half again as much as it did! It really has a big, open sound - perhaps due in part to the open back in comparison with the Vox? It's a different beast in many ways, but I love the sound and the feel of this amp. I would think that you could easily play a smaller gig with this amp.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp