Thread: NGD: great deal on a 60th anniversary American Strat

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD: great deal on a 60th anniversary American Strat

Wasn't really planning on this, but the deal was too sweet. Thing was already a good price for a U.S. Strat. I had a couple of old amps and a half dozen pedals looking to unload and Long&McQuade gave me a good price on all of them. Bottom line, a new American Standard Strat for a few hundred cash outlay.

Been wanting a standard strat for some time. I love my 2004 deluxe series HSS, but wanted a change for different pickup options. The bridge bucker is nice but doesn't give that classic Strat sound, obviously. Well, this thing sure does. Classic Fat 50s pickups are a real joy in all 5 positions. The bridge PU is awesome classic bright Strat tone. The out of phase positions are quacky as heck and just a lot of fun and the neck pup is just what you'd expect. These pups really cut too, quite a bit more than the ones on my HHS.

Also love the C neck. Just a perfect blend of heft and speed. And the back of the neck is matt light finish. Heard some criticism of tuning stability but once I stretched and used the bar for a couple of days it stayed in tune just fine. Pretty happy with the thing, especially since it wasn't too much cash. The appearance of mine is just what you see in the link. Love the colour which Fender calls Arctic white and I call cream. Happy camper here.

http://www.makenmusic.com/fender-ame...720219741.html
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the Strat. How is it for slide? Lookin' forward to some clips with your new baby.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks PB. The setup is low and I'm still playing the factory 9s which aren't ideal for slide. That said it's not too bad. Might end up using the HSS for slide as it's wonderful that way. Always need a spare guit on the rack for string safety, just a matter of which one. But I'm going to work some slide on the new one and see how it goes. Will post some clips at some point when I have time.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! That color is so much nicer than a plain white, and looks great with the tortoise guard.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations! Looks like you got a great deal!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Beauty, congrats!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice axe Helliot I agree with the other the colour is wonderful with the tortoise pickguard it sure fits nicely
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. Still pretty pleased. Two other things I really like: The body finish is thinner than typical on other Strats I have had. That makes the guitar more resonant acoustically and I think it helps with sustain. And I'm surprised how useful the compound radius neck thing is. It's rounder near the nut and flattens out as you get higher. That means slide playing is easier overall as I generally play slide from the 5-6 fret upward.
    helliott in Hamilton