Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

FS: Hand-built JTM45 clone head
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FS: Hand-built JTM45 clone head

Post Thanks / Like

Default FS: Hand-built JTM45 clone head

Buildyourownclone.com is releasing a new amp kit today, a very authentic clone of the classic Marshall JTM45. Top quality components, including USA-made Classic Tone transformers, original-spec KT66 output tubes, and a 13-ply birch head cabinet available in your choice of 6 colors. You can check it out in detail HERE. If you're familiar with BYOC--and I'm sure many of you are, from their highly regarded pedal kits and previous amp kit releases--you'll know that this kit will be top-shelf all the way. So why this "FS" post when the kit is only hitting the market today? Read on....

As one of the moderators at the BYOC technical support forums, I am fortunate to be able to purchase BYOC products at a significant discount. And I very much enjoy building amps--I've done a couple of the previous BYOC amp kits, as well as a Trinity 18W head and an Allen Sweet Spot combo. You may have seen some of my amp work posted in this forum--check out the links below. My problem is that I really have no use for a 45W amp, even a spectacular one like this. But I really want to build one and hear its classic tones, so I'm making this offer:

The complete BYOC "Brit 45" kit with premium quality Golden Lion KT66 output tubes goes for $810 plus shipping. I am offering the completely assembled and tested amp (your choice of cabinet color) for $850 plus shipping! I defy you to find a better deal on an amp of this quality....you won't! Payment terms are PayPal only, with 50% due at time of order and the balance when the amp is ready to ship. I do this work in my spare time, so I'd need a month between order and shipment to get it done and thoroughly tested. PM me if interested. It's a "win-win" scenario--I get the enjoyment of building the amp and you get a beautiful JTM45 clone at an unbeatable price! I'm making this offer at a couple of different forums, so if you're interested, jump on it now--I'm only going to do one of these amps.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man! The JTM45 is my favorite all time amph.... The price is great, too. It should go fast.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

JTM 45s are great. I also had the Golden Lion KT66 in mine, but I believe the output transformer plays a very important role. Never heard of the above mentioned one, but I had an original Drake transformer in mine, which sounded tremendous compared to others.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    Oh man! The JTM45 is my favorite all time amph.... The price is great, too. It should go fast.
    Especially if you buy it! C'mon, Kat--you know you want one of these bad boys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
    JTM 45s are great. I also had the Golden Lion KT66 in mine, but I believe the output transformer plays a very important role. Never heard of the above mentioned one, but I had an original Drake transformer in mine, which sounded tremendous compared to others.
    Re: the transformers, here's the info from the BYOC product page:

The Transformers: We provide Classic Tone™ transformers from Magnetic Components. These aren't rebranded "custom productions" of unknown origin. These are paper layer wound to vintage specs, using vintage construction methods, and made in Chicago, USA by a company that has been winding iron since 1943.

Nothing cheap or second-rate about these trannies--this is top quality iron.

I went ahead and ordered the full chassis kit (i.e. everything but the cabinet, so you can still pick the color of your choice) to be able to get started on this amp build, since I'm certain I won't have any trouble selling it. The only question is where. If nobody snaps it up here or at another of the forums where I've posted the offer, I'm sure I can move it quickly on Reverb.com. So ask yourself--is this really an opportunity you want to have slip away? A true-to-the-original JTM45 clone for $850 plus shipping!?!

BTW, I was just looking on eBay and came across a very comparable JTM45 clone from Carl's Custom Amps, a well established & respected builder specializing in clones of classic vintage amp designs. He even uses the same Classic Tone trannies. Price? $1300 plus shipping. Save yourself $450 and get the same amp in your choice of cab color!

To add to the temptation, here are a couple of photos--a pic of the top side of an assembled chassis, and a shot of the 6 available head cab colors:

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Especially if you buy it! C'mon, Kat--you know you want one of these bad boys!
    The GAS is reaching near Biblical proportions. Somebody buy this amph!
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    The GAS is reaching near Biblical proportions....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11th_commandment.jpg 
Views:	807 
Size:	175.7 KB 
ID:	2375

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

7. Likes Tig***, Katastrophe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome post, DVM... I shall bump thy thread, so that thou may sellest most killer amph to a worthy personeth of less modesteth means.
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Received the chassis kit yesterday and started the amp build. Got the hardware installed in the chassis and will start soldering next. Pics of last night's progress:

I'm really impressed by the quality (and weight!) of these transformers--top-shelf iron!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Got the mains power and the two transformers wired up last night; just the filament heater wires (green) left to do on the PT.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

She's comin' right along! The chassis is all wired up now except for the (many!) connections to the turret board, and I got about halfway through populating the board. Those filament heaters are a PITA to wire up, though....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice an clean, DVM. You sure do pretty work!
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Thursday night's progress: Finished populating the turret board & soldered all the wiring to it, then mounted it into the chassis and made a few connections. Basically just a matter of wiring up the preamp tube sockets, the pots and the input jacks and she'll be ready to test out.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Who's the lucky champ who will be getting this?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

DONE!! Wired the board to the preamp tubes, control pots and input jacks, and then ran through the start-up sequence. Everything worked the first time, and the amp sounds great. For the sake of my remaining hearing, I haven't cranked it yet back here in my little 12'x12' "man cave", but the clean tone is very crisp and well-defined and the KT-66's have a rich, punchy bass. Very quiet amp, too--with nothing plugged into the input jacks, you have to turn up one of the volume controls past 8 (they go to 10, not 11 ) before you can hear any discernible hum.

Here's Friday's set of photos:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Who's the lucky champ who will be getting this?
    Whoever comes up with the required $850 + shipping cost first! Though I do have a couple of interested parties I'm corresponding with....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

SOLD!!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear. You do stellar work and I would highly recommend that ANYONE jump all over any of your builds (amphs/pedals) or gits that you modded.

Post Thanks / Like

'Tis a thing of beauty, DVM - even just to look at! I was going to say, "and you make it look easy', until the last post with pics!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Just to wrap this up, the cabinet arrived yesterday (the buyer opted for the classic black, no badge), so here are a couple of shots of the finished amp. Très Marshally!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brit45_finished_front.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	2377 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brit45_finished_back2.jpg 
Views:	818 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	2378

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast