Thread: Howdy all!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Howdy all!

After about a two year break, I retrieved the ol' Strat from the corner of my bedroom, wiped it down and slapped on a new set of D'addarios. I figured I would tune 'er up, and just noodle around a bit.

I was able to play for about 2 and a half hours straight. It was glorious! My technique is rusty, and I'm having to slow way down, but I can't tell you how good it felt just to play again!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I know you (in a cyberspace sort of way anyway)! I did basically the same thing, although not for that long. I've been playing more recently and enjoying myself in the process. I think I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm never going to be a shredder. And I'm OK with that.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Had a long long break from guitar playing around 2010/2011. My guitars gathered dust for almost a year. At that point I wasn't sure if I was ever going to play again. I can only underline what you said - playing for the first time again was a heavenly feeling. Nowadays I a recovered and back to normal which means no single day without having played at least a few licks. Enjoy your way back.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Many congrats. I went through a period like that years back and can still remember how it felt to pick it up again. That was 25 years ago and I haven't gone a day without playing since. Hope you get everything you want from it. I think we forget how joyful the experience can be when we just sit back a let it be.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Katastrophe, at least you 'll come back with a fresj look at it and a brand new motivation that's great. It's nice to have a good break from time to time. Enjoy mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Kat! Welcome back!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys! Put in another about 1 1/2 hours last night. I still need to do a lot of work to get my playing up to snuff. I'm figuring that now might be a good time for a technique overhaul, to get rid of all the bad habits I've acquired over the years.

My youngest child has shown an interest in playing as well. We're writing a song together, and she's been having fun changing all the models on my little Mustang I amph while I play. She is now saying that she wants an acoustic. How cool is that!

It's good to see you all again. I've missed this place.
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Kat - long time no hear - glad to have you back!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey great to hear! Awesome you can play with your daughter!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys!
    Guitars:
    Blackstar HT Club 40