Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

FS: Another New Amp Build - Marshall 18W clone head!

Thread: FS: Another New Amp Build - Marshall 18W clone head!

Post Thanks / Like

Default FS: Another New Amp Build - Marshall 18W clone head!

Right on the heels of their recent JTM45 clone amp kit roll-out, Buildyourownclone.com has its "little brother" almost ready for commercial release--the 18W clone kit! Once again, this will be a head, available in a choice of six cabinet colors (see below). And, once again, I'm getting an early release kit that I'll build and sell for an absurdly low price. The new kit is slated to sell for $640 + shipping for the complete kit. You can get the fully assembled & tested amp from me for $725 + shipping. So if you passed on the JTM45 clone because it was just more power than you needed--or maybe you're kicking yourself for not grabbing it first!--here's your SECOND CHANCE!! You can see an example of my workmanship in THIS THREAD, so you know you'll be getting a premium quality amp. Payment terms are PayPal only, with full amount due at time of order. Shipping to US and Canada only. I do this work in my spare time, so I'll need about 3 weeks from when I receive the kit (should arrive by 9/17) to complete the build, test it thoroughly, and ship it out. PM me, if interested. DON'T LET THIS ONE GET AWAY!!

BTW, I'd be keeping this one for myself if I didn't already own a Mojave Coyote head that covers the small non-master volume Marshall tonal territory more than satisfactorily....

Cab color choices:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Any particulars you care to relate about this amp? Tubes? Controls? Effects loop?

Post Thanks / Like

It's a turret board point‐to‐point, hand-wired TMB (Treble-Middle-Bass) version of the vintage Marshall 18 watt amp. From the BYOC product page:

"This is seriously one of the most essential and versatile amps you’ll ever own. And it’s not that hard to build either! Two channels of tasty class A, EL84 goodness. The first channel is just volume and tone – great for shimmering, vox-like clean tones with that top‐end chime that you can only get with EL84s. Crank the volume up and back off on the tone control and you’ve got tones that are reminiscent of a Tweed Deluxe. The second channel features the TMB controls and a master volume, which allow you to punch up the gain, sculpt the tone, and keep the volume right where you want it. This channel is pure Marshall tone, just not as loud as its bigger brothers. Add an A/B box, and you’ve got the perfect channel switching amp for live gigs."

This is not a "bells & whistles" amp, by any means--it stays true to the vintage circuit with the one exception of an added master volume control on the TMB channel (which guitar players' wives & girlfriends everywhere will appreciate). No reverb, tremolo, or effects loop. Just six tubes (EZ81 rectifier, 3x12AX7 preamp, 2xEL84 output), two channels, and a ton of tone.

Here's what the completed chassis, sans cabinet, looks like:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TMB_18W_chassis_front.jpg 
Views:	1087 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	2376

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Got the new BYOC TMB 18W kit a couple of days ago, and here's two nights worth of build progress. First, I mounted most all of the hardware into the chassis, then wired in the mains power and the two transformers (power and output, a.k.a. PT and OT). This involved connecting:

* The rectifier tube socket wiring (the red, yellow and white wired socket)
    * The filament heater wiring (green) for the other five tube sockets
    * The fuse holder, power plug socket, indicator light, and main power & standby toggles
    * The OT primaries (blue, brown and red wires) to the output tube sockets and dual filter "can" capacitor
    * The OT secondaries (yellow, green and orange wires) to the output impedance selector switch inputs
    * The output jacks to the OT secondary ground and chassis ground (black wires) on to the output of the impedance selector switch (short red wire, barely visible)

Also a front and back shot of the top of the chassis with the hardware mounted. As with the Brit 45 kit (JTM45 clone), this amp uses top quality Classic Tone transformers from Magnetic Components, Inc. in Chicago.

Will start wiring up the pots on the front side of the chassis next....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Knocked off the pot grounding, inter-pot wiring, input jacks and signal input connections to V1. On to the turret board next...

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Got the turret board populated, wired, and mounted today--see pics below. All that's left is the final wiring of the board to the tube sockets and pots, plus a couple of other connections, and she'll be done. I'm also waiting on the mounting clamp for the 32uf/32uf dual filter cap "can", which was inadvertently left out of my kit, so I won't be firing up the amp until that is fastened firmly in place. Should arrive Monday.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Finished up the wiring and did a quick check out, after figuring out a way to fasten the big filter cap can in place temporarily. Everything working on the first try. Sucker is LOUD for just 18W! Pretty nice crunch on tap with the TMB channel volume dialed up around 7 - 8 and the master volume keeping the final volume below permanent hearing damage level here in my little man cave. Won't give it a real workout until that cap clamp is installed, but she's up & running!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

REDUCED!! $695 + shipping.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Another deal sweetener: FREE SHIPPING to the CONUS!!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hammond recently released a 1750PA output transformer for 18W builds. Just finished a build using it. Pretty sweet OT for 39.99 (mouser).

Good to see you are still soldering DVM!

Post Thanks / Like

Sold!!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!