Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tube Screamer Clone Mod - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tube Screamer Clone Mod

Post Thanks / Like

Hello duhvoodooman,

Man this stuff is well appreciated! I am curious what relationship our guitar picks have to the level it takes to break the threshold. Is it attack that breaks or the volume? Say the attack of our picks or the volume that the amp is turned up to? I guess what I am curious about is, does it make much difference in volume to break the threshold of the diodes and get this thing singing and would either one work better at low volume compared to a louder volume. Or maybe it just has to do with the smoothness of the breakup itself.
    I understand how it works but maybe not compared to our playing.
    As I read my own post I don't know if I am saying exactly what I am trying to say. Sorry...

Thanks duhvoodooman for all your time and help on this I am getting a lot out of this. My only problem is I just recently got a Boss DS-1. Now I wants a clone like yours

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Default A couple of mo' better clips....

I got to crank up the volume a little higher tonight while I had the house to myself. Here are two more clips using the Epi LP through the modded pedal. The first is basically a repeat of the third clip in my previous posting--the Who's Won't Get Fooled Again outro riff, but with more authority this time. Repeated 4 times--first with no pedal, then germanium diodes (soft clip), then silicon diodes (regular TS type), and lastly with the hard-clipping yellow LED's. The latter is the only way to go for this tune, IMO!

The second is just a little of the familiar ZZ Top Tush riff, using the yellow LED setting with the drive at about 3/4. The gain range is stock TS-808, as is the bass rolloff frequency.

Last edited by duhvoodooman; January 22nd, 2007 at 09:23 PM.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Meet the new boss - same as the old boss Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

That sounded really good. Very nice piece of circuitry you got going on. Congratulations too. You've got me gassing again. You won't get gassed again. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    I am curious what relationship our guitar picks have to the level it takes to break the threshold. Is it attack that breaks or the volume? Say the attack of our picks or the volume that the amp is turned up to? I guess what I am curious about is, does it make much difference in volume to break the threshold of the diodes and get this thing singing and would either one work better at low volume compared to a louder volume. Or maybe it just has to do with the smoothness of the breakup itself.
    I understand how it works but maybe not compared to our playing.
    As I read my own post I don't know if I am saying exactly what I am trying to say. Sorry....
    I think I understand your point, M29. As I understand it, it's the strength of the input signal that the pedal sees that determines how much the diodes clip at a given gain setting, and that can be modulated either through pick attack or the guitar's volume setting. So picking softly or rolling back the volume knob will definitely clean up the sound. Now, once the clipped signal leaves the pedal, there's obviously a lot more that can happen to it through the remaining pedal-preamp-power stage-speaker chain. I would assume that if you had a perfectly clean chain--no sources of harmonic distortion at all, no matter the volume setting--then you'd just hear the pedal's output amplified. But that pretty much never happens, even with a "clean" amp like a big ol' Fender Twin. There's always going to be some degree of further "character" added to the sound, and it will be volume-dependent. For amps that break up substantially with increased volume--or with amps where additional distortion is intentionally added--the pedal's output signal will be altered very substantially. What finally comes out of the amp speaker may sound great or not-so-great, depending upon how that interaction occurs.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I listened to every clip 3 times, and can imagine Dr DuhVoodoomanstein, "IT IS ALIVE.....ALIVE.....MY CREATURE IS ALIVE!"
    You have added some beauty and some beast to an already sought after tone and I also prefer your mods to the stock after all those side by sides. One hellava accomplishment. Say, ever see that movie the Stepford Wives? Now, if you could just.......
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

Really cool what yer doin there DVM. I just moded my TS-9 and and put the chipsocket in so I can can switch the chips, and they do sound different. You've taken it to the next level sooo where do we place an order? I love to support fledgling biz owners.

Plus I want one before you become one them there rich famous Boo-Teek pedal business owners with swimmin pools......rock stars in limos in your driveway awaiting and audience with DuhVoodooman of Toneification.
    Good work man!!!!!!!!!!
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Very sweet. That yellow LED could be in a box by itself (with a yellow LED indicating when it's on, natch).
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I just moded my TS-9 and and put the chipsocket in so I can can switch the chips, and they do sound different.
    Just curious, Mark--did you do the 808 resistor-change mod, too? Tried any IC's other than the usual JRC4558D and RC4558P?

You've taken it to the next level sooo where do we place an order? I love to support fledgling biz owners.
    The jury is still out on whether or not I'll try selling a few of these. As I mentioned in THIS THREAD, the issue is how long this work takes me to do. I really won't know if it's feasible until I build one from scratch. This "prototype" was a mod of the BYOC Overdrive pedal kit, so I was in experimental/learning mode through most of it, figuring out how to do the mods and physically arrange them in the wider enclosure, plus a dozen other details. I've got a pretty clear idea of how to put one together now, and have to just try it and see how many hours it takes. Of course, I'll need a customer who's willing to buy Zonkin' Yellow Screamer Serial No. 1....

Plus I want one before you become one them there rich famous Boo-Teek pedal business owners with swimmin pools......rock stars in limos in your driveway awaiting and audience with DuhVoodooman of Toneification.
    I think the old Buddy Holly tune title says it best--That'll be the day....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I got a mod kit, couple of resistor changes with a socket and those two chips. It always goes slow on a first build of something like that, still its a bit of labor putting those boxes together. But If people take a liking to them and you find a price point that makes it worth it could turn into a hobby with a little profit.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gettin' close now....

Put the decaling on tonight. Now, it's just gotta dry thoroughly and I'll spray on a couple of coats of clear lacquer and the Zonkin' Yellow Screamer prototype will be finished.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

It's BEAUTIFUL, Dvm. When will you start taking orders? I want one with a LOWWWWW serial #, just in case....
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Looking good DVM, but, uhm.. where is the Mojo dial ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    ...where is the Mojo dial ?
    Well, since there's a chance I might actually try to sell a few of these, I figured that the prototype should probably stick with the usual Level-Drive-Tone designations that people are familiar with on overdrive pedals. But fear not--the mojo is INSIDE!!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

So...if you actually sell some of these things...
    Can I get one with a low serial #, just in case?
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Well, since there's a chance I might actually try to sell a few of these, I figured that the prototype should probably stick with the usual Level-Drive-Tone designations that people are familiar with on overdrive pedals. But fear not--the mojo is INSIDE!!
    I think you'd sell more with a mojo dial, but what do I know?

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome looking pedal DVM and can't leave out great sounding If I didn't already have a modded boss Sd-1 I would be on board for one of these You do have me remodding though already changed tone pot out The boss had a 20k and flattin out between 10 and 1 excellent now with the 2K Now will do my homework and change the two position switch for the three and incorperate the Led Like you said op amp chip changes are kind of minor I have had RC4558P, RC4559P, JRC4558D and Burr Brown OPA2134PA the brown to me makes the pedal more transparent and adds clarity which to me benifits single coil pickup and the splitting of humbucker

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ta-da!!

All done after 3 coats of clear lacquer:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

That is too pretty to play. The first one should go in the display case. Awesome job. (toast to Voodoo)

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice, DVM! You definately have a talent for this, and your attention to detail shows. Kudos to DuhVoodooMan !

Hey, DVM, did you get my PMs ?
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast