Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Billy Gibbons plays what....!?

Thread: Billy Gibbons plays what....!?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Billy Gibbons plays what....!?

Says in an article in Premier Guitar the BFG plays 07 - 38 gauge strings! Who said skinny strings can't sound big...?
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

That would feel awkward to me. Was handed a 9-42 at a session, felt like a toy ;-) But the gauge has low importance to the sound, at least what I think...
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I've read multiple places that he uses 8's, but haven't ever heard he uses 7's. Maybe that statement comes from the fact that his custom string set from Dunlop is available with a 7-gauge high E (7-9-11-20-30-38), though they're offered in heavier gauges, too.

From a Guitar World Q&A with the good Reverend a couple of years ago:

Q: Do you really use .008 gauge strings? If so, how do you keep them from flapping when detuning? And how do you get such a great tone, since I have always believed the bigger the strings, the better the tone?

B.G.: I, too, once believed in the heavier gauge string as a superior tone source. However, thanks to the graciousness of B.B. King I learned that a lighter gauge string offers superior playing comfort. Detuning requires some adjustment of attack, approach and feel. Try it. You may like it.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Plain weird, if you ask me.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Gibbons said in an interview that he decided to switch to lower gauges after a conversation with Mr BB King where he asked Billy "Why do you work so hard with those heavy gauge strings ?"
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

This is something that every new guitarist needs to know. There's always some blowhard who says you can't have "tone" without playing massive cables. Full disclosure: I play 10s because that's what I prefer. I end up grabbing 9s too hard and pulling chords sharp. That's actually a technique problem more than anything else. No sense in trying massive strings when you are just starting out. Once you've played a bunch and built up finger strength and callouses, try whatever you like! Premier Guitar had an article on this a few years back:

http://www.premierguitar.com/article...g_Myths_Part_1

Obviously here I'm focusing on standard tuning or Eb. It's different if you're doing drop C or something crazy. Then 8s or 9s would be unplayably slack I would think.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I used to swear by 10s but have converted to 9s, in part because they give some relief to arthritic knuckles. More challenging on slide, but do-able as Warren Haynes has shown for years.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Full disclosure: I play 10s because that's what I prefer. I end up grabbing 9s too hard and pulling chords sharp. That's actually a technique problem more than anything else.
    I use 10's for just the same reason...
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    I've read multiple places that he uses 8's, but haven't ever heard he uses 7's. Maybe that statement comes from the fact that his custom string set from Dunlop is available with a 7-gauge high E (7-9-11-20-30-38), though they're offered in heavier gauges, too.

From a Guitar World Q&A with the good Reverend a couple of years ago:

Q: Do you really use .008 gauge strings? If so, how do you keep them from flapping when detuning? And how do you get such a great tone, since I have always believed the bigger the strings, the better the tone?

B.G.: I, too, once believed in the heavier gauge string as a superior tone source. However, thanks to the graciousness of B.B. King I learned that a lighter gauge string offers superior playing comfort. Detuning requires some adjustment of attack, approach and feel. Try it. You may like it.
    I have heard that BB King used to tell that to a lot of the rock/blues guys he's played with over the years. Let's face it, Iommi has some of the heaviest sounds around and has always done it with 8's....so obviously string gauge doesn't matter as much as some people think.....I do think heavier gauge is needed for clean sounds aka jazz etc. I generally played 8's in the late 70's when I was gigging heavily, I remember trying 7's at that time (a place in NYC had them)....but I found them too light. Then over the years I worked my way to 9's and 10's. These days I generally find 9's perfect, and I do have some hand problems and they still work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Full disclosure: I play 10s because that's what I prefer. I end up grabbing 9s too hard and pulling chords sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    I use 10's for just the same reason...
    Same here. I'm so used to doing bends with 10's that I go way too sharp when I try 9's. I'm sure if I just stuck with them for some time, I'd adjust my technique accordingly. But 10's don't hamper me in any way, so I stick with 'em.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I found the same thing when switching to 9s on some guitars. Went back to the old drill of playing the half tone, then subbing in a bend, same with a full tone, etc. Helped me to solve overbending.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

12. Likes RedFenderBender liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He has his own set made by dunlop.

https://www.amazon.com/Dunlop-RWN073...guitar+strings

Post Thanks / Like

Wow.. I made the switch to 7s on one guitar that at the time needed a string change & also was a good candidate for the application. After hearing Gibbons interview with somebody (i cant remember who) & he mentioned that B.B. had told him bout the lighter guage making playing less of a struggle...ive since gotten used to the 7 set and love it. Altho i dont recommend it for use on all guitars...like my favorite paul would not play right w 7's...She is Not the forgiving type. Not at all!
    (There is a very noticable reduction in tension- which will likely change the action of your instrument) This is Not the kind of Buzz your lookin for...👀

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk