Thread: Ashes to Ashes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ashes to Ashes

So Long David Jones (David Bowie)

You will be missed

Post Thanks / Like

Saw that this morning. I was surprised because his new album just came out. He must've wanted to get one last burst of creativity in. I hadn't heard that he had cancer.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

69/70 seems to become the new 27 club :-(
    Never was a huge fan of his music, but he definitely was a versatile artist.
    Probably jammin on Let's Dance along with SRV up there now.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

David followed no one. A true and rare individual in the music world.

I'll pass on a story from another forum:
    "I've been a life long fan of David Bowie. I've seen him 8 times, but unfortunately not since his last tour with Adrian Belew, Sound and Vision in 1994ish.

But in 1983, I worked his 3 day run at the Rosemont Horizon on the Serious Moonlight tour.

One of the things I did for that venue was "chalk the floor". Every band put their soundboard in a slightly different spot. And the main floor seats were folding chairs. So, you'd find out where the soundboard would be, the Teamsters would set up the chairs and I would write in chalk "row A, seat 5, 10, 15, etc." so the ushers, in the dark, could accurately seat people

This was always done during soundcheck. Most bands had their techs perform it. Sometimes, one of the members of the band would be on stage.

Bowie would sit half way back, by himself, while Earl Slick and Carlos Alomar and others would play parts of the songs.

I left DB to himself, but on the third night, he chatted me up.

"How has the sound/show been the past two nights?". "Is the audience digging it?", etc. I answered him, enthusiastically of course.

We kept talking. He asked me about school and other things.

Then he says "we're about to have dinner backstage, what to join us?"

You know the answer to the question.

There were probably 15 people at the table, but he was the nicest, most down to earth and engaging mega talent you could ever meet."

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

He was an innovator and a true original artist. Respect, and may you you dance in heaven.

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
    69/70 seems to become the new 27 club :-(
    Never was a huge fan of his music, but he definitely was a versatile artist.
    Probably jammin on Let's Dance along with SRV up there now.
    Yep. Even if you didn't like him necessarily, he is the one who introduced SRV to the world.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski