Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NAD, New Amph Day

Thread: NAD, New Amph Day

Post Thanks / Like

Default NAD, New Amph Day

So, I've been looking for a tube amph for a while now. My list of requirements have changed greatly, both back and forth during the research period from something simple and easy to mod with nothing but a volume knob to something cool looking with built in spring reverb etc. The contenders were, mostly, the Balckstar HT-1R, Ibanez TSA5TVR which has a built in spring reverb and a built in tube screamer, the Fender Ramparte and finally the Kustom Defender 5 watt head. Since only the Blackstar and Fender Ramparte were in stock locally I've been confined to Youtube reviews. The main requirement has been that the amplifier should have really good clean tones, in other words it should be able to be played loud enough in living room without distorting which is something my Yamaha THR 5 doesn't do well. Most 5W tube amphs will do this though so that wasn't a problem. Although the Fender Ramparte had the nicest cleans by far and good looks too, it's way too big and way too loud. So, I ended up with... none of the above.

There was a demo ex of a small Peavy Nano Valve in one of the local stores. I thought I got a good price but I probably over paid as hell looking at what the retailed for just before they left the shelves.

Anyhow, it's not so good looking (no permanent spot in the living room) but it's small enough to be hidden away and it sounds great. Although there's just an on/off switch and a volume knob on it there seems to be a great range of tonality by playing with the volume on the amph and on the guitar.

It came with a Sovtek EL84 and an Electro Harmonix 12AX7 and a no name speaker. I'm planning on changing the speaker for a Celestion 8" and to fit a speaker out jack on the back of it.

I still haven't heard what it sounds like when I push it into overdrive, it's just too loud and I fear the neighbors will kick in the door.

2. Likes sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will be interested in hearing how you like the sounds in OD. Good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very cool! HNAD
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, I've never heard that amph.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.

It still sounds great. There's a Swedish guy showing it here https://youtu.be/dEvBiKoObgc

I'm now contemplating an Electro Harmonix Turnip Greens to go with it. The Turnip Greens is a 2 in 1 pedal combining a Soul Food overdrive and a Holy Grail reverb. I've never owned an effects pedal before and know very little of "pedal theory" but am i correct in assuming that the reverb won't sound very good if i'm pushing the amp itself into overdrive as that would essentially put the reverb before the overdrive?

Skickat från min P01Y via Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds Good, tho im NOT a twang Tele Fan...but why use that lil amp at all? Whats wrong with using the one underneath it from the video? Kinda looks like a Randall/stereo chorus combo amp i used long ago & loved it! The lil tiny amp reminds me of a PigNose i bought myself as a gag to play a Strat on the Beach. Ya know?

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Hampus that sounds like a great practice amp it possess some grits and sound overall fine !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface