Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
'59 Bassman Tweed sound in a smaller package?

Thread: '59 Bassman Tweed sound in a smaller package?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default '59 Bassman Tweed sound in a smaller package?

I have always loved the sound of the '59 Bassman (re-issue is fine). I have listed my 1961 Fender Concert for sale, and if it sells, will replace it with some sort of tweed sounding amp. The easy thing would just be a used '59 Bassman reissue. But I would also be interested in something in a smaller package. Say a 2x10 with the same sort of '59 Bassman circuit. Anyone know of such a thing?

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just was checking out the Allen Amps Brown Sugar that can come in a 2x10 combo. I like that idea as I have gotten used to more than one speaker and the more open sound. New they are $1899 built, or you can get a kit for $1,349. Anyone have any experience or info?
    @duhvoodooman
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

DVM has spoken highly of Allen Amps. IIRC, he has the Sweet Spot. He bought the kit and built it himself.....DUH. He also has another really good high-end amp but the name/model escapes me. That one he didn't built. You might want to PM him directly as he spends most of his Net time on the BYOC Forum.

Post Thanks / Like

The Allen amps, whether in kit form or pre-built, are of truly outstanding quality. Great designs and top-shelf components all the way through. But as you've noticed, they AIN'T CHEAP. Also, unless you are very confident in your soldering skills and have built an amp or two previously, I wouldn't recommend the kits, as these are most definitely NOT novice-level builds. Now, if you're ready to drop $1900 plus shipping on a pre-built 2x10 Brown Sugar, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed. But that's about $450 more than a '59 Bassman RI will run you, so you'll have decide if it's worth the upcharge to you.

Another amp that you might want to consider is the Fender '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb, part of the '68 Custom amp series that came out in 2014. I've read nothing but excellent reviews on these amps. I remember Joe Bonamassa commenting that "Fender really got it right" with these amps, and he's a very tough man to please. He even included the smaller Deluxe model as one of his "5 Most Underrated Amps" in an article on PremierGuitar.com. The Vibrolux model is 35W with 2x10" Celestions. It's a two channel amp, with one "vintage" channel staying true to the classic silverface Fender tone (including reverb and tremolo) and a "custom" channel with a Bassman tone stack, giving more mids & bottom end and a bit earlier break-up. Very nice sounding amp, and very flexible. As usual, there are several demos on YouTube that you can check out. And I would expect that most decent-sized music stores would have one in stock that you could test drive.

P.S. Just started a new amp build project. I picked up a BYOC Brit 45 head kit (Marshall JTM45 "Bluesbreaker" clone) and am modifying it to JTM50 specs--think 50W Plexi with a tube rectifier. The two circuits are very similar, with the major difference being that I'm installing EL34s instead of the KT66s in the JTM45, and am using a 50W Plexi output transformer to match up the primary's impedance with that tube type. The other major modification is the installation of a variable voltage regulator (VVR) in the power supply stage that allows you to dial down the final output while still keeping the amp "cranked" for that sweet Marshall crunch. Similar idea to using an attenuator, but by reducing the voltage supplied to the amp circuitry rather than attenuating the output with a resistive or reactive load, and thereby results in less tonal change.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

5. Likes sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DVM------That's a pretty cool BYOC project you have planned. So......uh....what has to go to make room for the newbie?

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't advertised it anywhere yet, but I'll be selling my 2007 Vox 50th Anniversary Heritage Series hand-wired AC15 1x12 combo (model AC15H1TV). It's a great sounding amp, but it just doesn't get much use from me anymore because of a couple of other amps I've acquired in the meantime. This is the version with the EF86 preamp in the first channel, while the second is a "Top Boost" style preamp with 12AX7's. The guy I bought it from had removed the stock Celestion Alnico Blue, so I loaded in a WGS Green Beret, their Celestion Greenback clone. It's an excellent sounding speaker, and the ceramic magnet design allows me to sell the amp for a much more reasonable price--$750 + shipping to the CONUS, instead of the $900+ they go for with the Alnico Blue. More details & pics here: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/20706

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    P.S. Just started a new amp build project. I picked up a BYOC Brit 45 head kit (Marshall JTM45 "Bluesbreaker" clone) and am modifying it to JTM50 specs--think 50W Plexi with a tube rectifier. The two circuits are very similar, with the major difference being that I'm installing EL34s instead of the KT66s in the JTM45, and am using a 50W Plexi output transformer to match up the primary's impedance with that tube type. The other major modification is the installation of a variable voltage regulator (VVR) in the power supply stage that allows you to dial down the final output while still keeping the amp "cranked" for that sweet Marshall crunch. Similar idea to using an attenuator, but by reducing the voltage supplied to the amp circuitry rather than attenuating the output with a resistive or reactive load, and thereby results in less tonal change.
    In surfing around looking at amps I re-read this. Seems like similar idea to the new-ish Fender Bassbreaker 45 which reportedly also has that feature. Yes? It is also based on the Bassman circuit, but voiced a bit british. Looks pretty cool.

See vid at 1:30 for discussion of the variable output feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9iL2uFvfqg

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar-...265000000.html
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    The Allen amps, whether in kit form or pre-built, are of truly outstanding quality. Great designs and top-shelf components all the way through. But as you've noticed, they AIN'T CHEAP. Also, unless you are very confident in your soldering skills and have built an amp or two previously, I wouldn't recommend the kits, as these are most definitely NOT novice-level builds. Now, if you're ready to drop $1900 plus shipping on a pre-built 2x10 Brown Sugar, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed. But that's about $450 more than a '59 Bassman RI will run you, so you'll have decide if it's worth the upcharge to you.

Another amp that you might want to consider is the Fender '68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb, part of the '68 Custom amp series that came out in 2014. I've read nothing but excellent reviews on these amps. I remember Joe Bonamassa commenting that "Fender really got it right" with these amps, and he's a very tough man to please. He even included the smaller Deluxe model as one of his "5 Most Underrated Amps" in an article on PremierGuitar.com. The Vibrolux model is 35W with 2x10" Celestions. It's a two channel amp, with one "vintage" channel staying true to the classic silverface Fender tone (including reverb and tremolo) and a "custom" channel with a Bassman tone stack, giving more mids & bottom end and a bit earlier break-up. Very nice sounding amp, and very flexible. As usual, there are several demos on YouTube that you can check out. And I would expect that most decent-sized music stores would have one in stock that you could test drive.

Now that's an amp I would say YES to.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Now that's an amp I would say YES to.
    If you're referring to the modified BYOC Brit 45, details & pics here: www.thefret.net/showthread.php/22384

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!