I've had good results leveling and re-crowned frets on all my guitars, but after about the 5th time (!), my 72 Les Paul really needed new frets, and that was beyond me. My finances aren't the best, so when I found a a highly recommended tech offering to do it for about 1/2 what I expected to pay, I let him do it. The result was cosmetically beautiful, and it literally felt 1000% better... so much so that I didn't really notice that it still needed some work. Back home, it didn't take me long to notice some slight buzzes on certain bends, and a lot of places where the string vibration is obviously being slightly muted initially (when first picked), but then sustains normally after the vibration settles. By the way, all the problems are on the high strings.

I've had it back to the guy once and he made some "minor" adjustments, but really didn't fix it. So at this point I've "mapped" out the whole neck with different letters indicating different problem points for each string and fret. If he doesn't offer to correct it I'll probably just do it myself at this point. But before I have this discussion I wanted to be armed with some more information, and consider whether other things could be contributing to the problem. For example...

1) I use a pretty odd set of strings, somewhat heavy at the bottom, and pretty thin on top (my preferred set is: 52,42,30,17,11,9). Could this be part of the problem?

2) Over the past year I've changed my picking technique somewhat and my attack is much sharper thaan it used to be. I also now use a very heavy gauge pick. Maybe I'm adding to the problem, especially on the thinner high strings?

3) I've used Graph-tec saddles for several years now. I do know they rob a little sustain, but very much appreciate the fact that I virtually never break strings anymore, and i do a LOT of bending. Could they be causing more apparent buzz or "dead spots"

4) My action, at the high E, is just over 1/16". I'd think that for a vintage Gibson Les Paul with brand new frets that's not too much to ask. But maybe it is too low because of my picking style and heavy pick?

I'm just trying to be as sure as possible that the problem is definitely the need for more fretwork. On the one hand I don't want the technician to be able to tell me some BS reason this happens, and on the other hand I want to make sure I'm fixing the RIGHT problem if I decide to re-dress the frets myself.

Thanks for any and all advise.