Thread: Am down to 4 pedals - must be insane ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Am down to 4 pedals - must be insane ;-)

Hey friends,

After a long, long journey I am down to 4 pedals that kinda stood the test of being shredded live, at home and at sessions.
    My board currently consists of a 1. Fulltone Clyde Std. Wah / 2. TC Spark Mini Booster / 3. Rockett Blue Note OD / 4. TC Flashback mini Delay / special occasions: (EHX Soul Food)

1. I hated this wah at times, then loved it again. It had a loose contact that brought me to full desparation during a live gig...anyways, I ordered the MAE C404 Wah...nothing for me...still considering a Dunlop Classic F, but after having brought the Fulltone to my technician, it sounds better then ever. After almost 4 years on my board, it is allowed to stay ;-)

2. TC Spark....what can I say. The wolrd is a better place with it, believe me. I know all the Timmyies and the Euphorias and the JHS Morning Glories, also the RC Boosters...EP Boosters....you name them. I have tried them all and the TC is and will always reamain one of the best sounding boosts I have ever played. I mean, you play a great sounding amp, you love the sound, you kick in the Spark, and you can't believe what it still adds. I also really like the JHS Morning Glory, but it is almost 4 times the price of the Spark, and the Spark still sounds more vivid, to my impression. However, a keeper, for sure.

3. Rockett...what an awesome pedal company. I wasn't really aware of them, until my last visit at the local guitar store. Look up "transparent, woody sound" in a dictionary and you will find a picture of the Blue Note OD. This thing is pure magic. By far the best overdrive that was ever put on my board. It does it all. I also had the Rockett Animal, which is, hands down, the best Plexi in a box. But playing a Two Rock, I didn't want to go for a Marhsall Plexi sound.

4. TC Flashback Delay. Not much to say about this. I am not "The Edge" so I can be satisfied with some slight Tape Delay sounds. The TC Flashback delivers. No magic here, just a fantastic price performance ratio ,-)

Special Case:
    5. EHX Soul Food. Not on my board currently, but my trusty go to pedal. The SF was my main overdrive for solos, but as the Rockett gives me all the sounds I need, I reduced the pedal qty. The SF is the pedal that I use at home for all my drive sounds, plus it is my session go to pedal. It is incredible. Just recently I thought, I will have to upgrade my Klon Clone, and so I tested the Rockett Archer. Believe me, it couldn't touch the SF. The guy was telling me about better components....yeah, yeah.....my SF has seen a lot of stages, it sounded monster - always! And lets not talk about the price perf......ratio....thing.....it is the best pedal out there for the price.

Future pedal buying/testing plans (am not in a hurry at all with this):
    Rockett Guthrie Trapp OD / Wampler Velvet Fuzz / Strymon Deco / some vibe effects

How about you guys, what have been your latest reorganizations on your boards?
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing!

I've just added a Rockett The Dude to my board and dude... lemme tell you it's freaking awesome! Dumble-ish sounds, lots of gain, but CLEAN sounding. I mean clarity is there, even with lots of gain. It's has that magic sparkle too. Fairy dust. Get one.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots will be happening on my board(s) in the coming months. I do have a board I can play with though if I played a "roadhouse".

Remember, the move ROADHOUSE with Patrick Swayze, as the bouncer. Anyway, they had this "stage" behind chicken-wire fencing, and that is where the band (Jeff Healey) played. Fights break out, drinks all over, etc. Perfect situation for your gear to get damaged, wet, etc.

Joyo has a series of Ironman pedals. Rugged, mini-pedals with a cover that flips over to protect your controls.

I have the AT Drive, Green Legend Overdrive, Blue Rain Overdrive and the Husky Drive Overdrive pedals.

Great sounding, inexpensive pedals.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jimi75 thanks for the post. I like the idea of 'just what u need' on a board but I havnt got to that stage again lately. With years of suffering from GAS I have too many dirt pedals to mention.
    Just going through a change over phase at the mo and selling a few amps to purchase a new toy. First time for a dual channel but looking forward to cutting down my pedal board...or at least dirt pedals anyway..!
    You are bang on with the JRAD gear....all good..!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I am by no means a guitarist worth mentioning, but the more I think about it, the more I like the "less is more" philosophy. I don't have a ton of pedals, but the only ones that are always in my chain are my tuner (does that count?), DVM OD2, and my Digitech delay and reverb pedals. I have a few others, but they mainly gather dust.

On the reverse side of things Premier Guitar had a big write up on a few pedal switching systems, some costing well over a grand. After reading that, I can see why so many pros have gone to Axe-FX or something similar if they use a ton of effects.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Pedals are like an elegant brown Porsche, the AxeFX is like a fast car, but with shitty looks and spinning wheels. For my part, I know what I wanna be seated in ;-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty spare but not down to 4. I switched to a small Pedaltrain board as so many rooms are small these days. Right to left: EH C9 Organ Machine, Diamond Compressor, Classic Crybaby, Voodoo Lounge Sparkle Drive (some gain and clean boost), Fairfield Barbershop overdrive (for Tele and slide) and BD Waza drive for the real sustainy stuff.

Robert, is there a demo of the Dude? Heard they are incredible.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

I will make a demo of the Dude. It's a killer pedal. Youtube it.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

@Helliot: Brilliant choice of pedals
    @Robert: Will check The Dude next week, the demos sound awesome - I want one!!! But I'm torn between the Dude and the Guthrie Trap OD... Looking forward to your demo, would be great to also hear some chords and single coil sounds and some driving of the volume on the guitar...just my personal wish ;-)

10. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh oh, Jimi - sounds like 'down to just 4 pedals' is about to become history...
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

The Mad Professor Simble Overdrive is a pretty good Dumble clone too. Definitely gets one in Robben Ford-sounding territory.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried the Simbel once and I found the EHX Soulfood to be equally good. Hey my friend, I always try to keep it down to one clean boost and one overdrive, so if the Dude kicks me, one of the other candidates has to leave the show :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I run trough 3 pedals for the time

- EP Xotic Booster (I'm still happy with this Jimi)
    - TS808 clone (done by the guy who build my Fender Tweed Vibrolux amp)
    - TC Flashback Delay (I'm far from mastering this but I use it mainly for slapback delay)

I bought an octaver that I really like from a member of The Fret but when it's on the volume dropped too much (default ?) so I don't use it during live gigs
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jimi75.....just wanted to know how your Rockett Blue Note OD interacts with your EHX Soul Food? What order do you stack them in when running both on your board?

I have a Soul Food on back order and considering getting the Blue Note too.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the SF before the BN. Congrats on your back orders - you'll highly enjoy the couple :-)

Post Thanks / Like

The back order for the EHX Soul Food fell through. Just ordered a J Rockett Blue Note OD Demo off reverb.com for a good price. The Demo is in LikeNew condition.

Post Thanks / Like

The Blue Note OD is one of the best overdrives ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Great pedal!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

@Pibaldphyton - how do you like the Blue Note OD so far?