Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
anyone familiar with Fender CS 69 pickups?

Thread: anyone familiar with Fender CS 69 pickups?

Post Thanks / Like

Default anyone familiar with Fender CS 69 pickups?

Thinking of replacing my old Strat's early noiseless pups with these. Have the classic 50s in another Strat and love them. Would go from HSS to SSS in the older deluxe Strat. Lovely guitar but the pickups have never been great and compared to the classic 50s they just don't cut it at all. Anyone else have thoughts on replacements?
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

I had the 69s in my Hendrix Sig Strat. Very balanced, no harshness, can be pushed nicely with an overdrive. The neck sound nice and deep. By far better than 1st generation Noiseless pickups, better than Mexican Classic 50s, because they deliver more roundness and deepens.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

thank you sir
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

When you say "classic '50s", are you referring to the CS Fat '50s? I have a set of those in my '12 Am. Std. Strat, and IMO they're the best sounding vintage-style Strat pickups I've ever played through.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, DVM, that is what I have in my 40th anniversary Strat and I do love them. Just figured might as well get a different sound if I am upgrading the older deluxe Strat so I'd have fat 50s in one and the CS 69s in the other. Or maybe I should just go with another set of CS Fat 50s.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard them personally, but I've only heard good things about the CS69s. I've also heard that they are more scooped in the mids than the CS54s, FWIW.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks marnold. Have heard that as well. Some scooped options appeal, although not into metal stuff. Like that sound for blues rock though.
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to try something a little hotter but still in the vintage vein, I also like the CS Texas Specials I have in my '89 Strat Plus.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

^
    I've been playing Texas Specials in my Jimmie Vaughan Strat for almost 20 years. Great, great pickups! BUT definitely different form FAT 50s and 69ers.
    The bridge pu easily gets in to hb territory. The TSs sound very warm and have a nice midrange. What I think is that they are not typically giving the sound we consider with a classic Strat.
    They have way less chime than the 69ers. Go listen to Hendrix's original recording of "The Wind Cries Mary", although he might have played a 65 Strat at that time, this is exactly the sound the 69 set will give you.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the input. Like Texas specials but do think I am hooked on more traditional strat sounds so will probably go cs 69s to compliment the fat 50s on the strat that is currently #1
    helliott in Hamilton