Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
High E string (D'Addario) often unwinds from its end ring at tailpiece?

Thread: High E string (D'Addario) often unwinds from its end ring at tailpiece?

Post Thanks / Like

Default High E string (D'Addario) often unwinds from its end ring at tailpiece?

This is a problem on my Les Paul (deluxe, 1972 if it matters). As I often get a pretty mixed set of string gauges, I often buy my high two strings as "loose", and haven't paid close attention to to the brand. I guess I was thinking all plain steel strings were basically the same, as long as I stick with some name brand. But I had bought a dozen each 0.009 and 0.0115 D'Addario strings (mainly because they have a hard to find 0.0115 I use for a "B" string).

So the problem is, more often then not, I'll notice that on every bend of the high E, it will be flat afterward. Its not unwinding at the peg, and I don't have a sticking problem at the nut. What is happening is the string slightly unwinds from its little brass ring at the tailpiece. (The part Gibson also calls a "stop bar"). Eventually the string will break during a bend, but on close inspection it has just unwound, and sure enough there will be a little brass end ring somewhere on the floor.

I can't imagine any kind of defect in the tailpiece. But this is happening too often. Anyone else have a similar problem, and if I'm going to buy loose plain steel strings, which brands are less likely to have a problem like this? I have a feeling that D-Addario strings are not a brand commonly used for rock playing, so those were probably a bad choice.

Post Thanks / Like

That's really odd. Unfortunately I can't help you much because I don't have a guitar with a TOM bridge. I use GHS Boomers. On my Jackson with a Floyd I use Spud's technique of running the ball end through the tuning peg so even if my strings were doing this, I'd never see it. I've found D'Addarios to be darker than GHS. Some folks like that, some don't. I prefer the extra brightness.

I wonder if the place where you got the loose strings from just got a bad batch or something. I've never heard of that happening before.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

It is odd. And while I do bend a lot, its pretty rare I bend more then a minor 3rd. I got those strings from "stringsbymail.com", who are pretty reputable. But this has happened so often I've gotten into the habit of looking at the end before replacing to see whats going on. Maybe they don't put enough twists at the end compared to other brands. I can see where my kind of tailpiece doesn't offer any resistance to the tension, and the graphtek saddles I use on the top strings probably doesn't offer any frictional pullback either.

I also appreciate a darker tone for the high strings because I already use thinner strings for the highest two.

Well, there aren't brands that make a 0.0115. So I've just ordered Ernie Ball loose .009, .011 (and some .012) strings from musicians friend. If there is any visible difference I'll take pictures and post, and in any case I'll see if there is a difference. If not, I guess I'll have to try wrapping the strings once around when I install. But I've had this guitar for over 40 years and this never was a problem before the D-Adario strings

Post Thanks / Like

Strange, indeed. I've used D'Addario strings almost exclusively for many years on several guitars, and I can't remember what you describe ever having happened to me. Sure, I occasionally break strings--and almost always on bends--but it is the string itself that breaks, most often at the bridge, less often at the tuner peg, and only rarely somewhere in between. The major differences are that I run 10's at the high E, not 9's, and I buy them in 10-pack sets, not individual strings (although I do use individual strings if I break a B or high E early in the life of a set). I wonder if the greater flexibility of the lighter string makes them more prone to this unraveling issue you're seeing?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I did politely write to D-Addario about, hoping to maybe find out if there was a report of a bad batch any time in the recent past. The rep didn't know of any such issue, but did offer to send me a 5 pack. I can't imagine how, but as a few have suggested there might be a burr on my tailpiece starting the unwinding, maybe I'll see if I can smooth that position a little with a Dremil tool and a cone shaped stone. Almost afraid I'd roughen it and make it worse though.