Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.
@Marnold: no deep cultural reason for singing in English. Up until the mid 90's there simply was no cool German music except of 1 or 2 punk bands. For us kids of the 70's every cool song was sung in English, I think this left a mark and made English sound more natural in music than German. It doesn't feel like a big cognitive act. It's only since a couple of years that real good German lyrics in music come back and there's real great German songs, too, but for me I will just go down the English route. It's rather a neutral standpoint that doesn't relate to identification with any culture, it's simply a product of what our hearing is conditioned to, music wise ;-)
Thanks for the explanation. Growing up here, the only non-English songs I remember were "La Bamba," several Santana songs, and a couple of Police songs where they sang part or whole in French. So singing in something other than my native tongue would have seemed odd. Having said that, when I was in choirs in school we sang a number of religious songs in Latin or German. Actual German speakers probably would have mocked our pronunciation.

The only modern music I've heard in German is some Rammstein. Some of it I can translate on the fly. Most of it I have to look up. Other German bands that I like sing in English.