Thread: A little live video of my band

Post Thanks / Like

Default A little live video of my band

Here's a video of one of our songs. The video was taken last year at Hard Rock Cafe.
    I this video I am playing the ES-339, the Two Rock and the EHX Soul Food.

I hope you like it, even if I'm a little flat in the backing vocals.

http://youtu.be/AJ0We6Pvsvc
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jimi!

I really liked both your tone and playing in this one. I'm envious of both. I hear what you're saying about the backing vocals, but the guitar more than makes up for it.

One question: I'm assuming this is an original song. Is there a reason why it is in English instead of German? Is it so that it would appeal beyond the borders of Germany? I hope that doesn't sound like a stupid question. Europe is just so different from the United States with so many languages so close to each other. Granted, you hear more and more non-English languages over here because of immigration from various countries, but with some notable exceptions most want to learn English and assimilate. I ask because I find cultural things like this fascinating.

I'm also envious of people who are bi-lingual. Granted, I've studied Latin, German, ancient Greek, and ancient Hebrew, but the only one of those I learned conversationally was German. After high school, I could probably speak German like a poorly-educated 6 year old. Now with high school 30 years in the rear view mirror, I think I can only manage simple things like: yes, no, thanks, please, order a beer, and where's the restroom. Of course, I'm not sure what else one needs to say
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Great playing as always Jimmy and a great live performance all around - sounds like you're in the studio! And the 339 sounds terrific.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Great playing and sound. Love that guitar.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Great playing Jimi. At the 3:55 mark, you step on a pedal at the beginning of your solo. Was that the EHX Soul Food? Sounds great.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.
    @Marnold: no deep cultural reason for singing in English. Up until the mid 90's there simply was no cool German music except of 1 or 2 punk bands. For us kids of the 70's every cool song was sung in English, I think this left a mark and made English sound more natural in music than German. It doesn't feel like a big cognitive act. It's only since a couple of years that real good German lyrics in music come back and there's real great German songs, too, but for me I will just go down the English route. It's rather a neutral standpoint that doesn't relate to identification with any culture, it's simply a product of what our hearing is conditioned to, music wise ;-)

@Pibaldpython: Soul Food is the overdrive that fires up the solo :-) Such an awesome pedal!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
    Here's a video of one of our songs. The video was taken last year at Hard Rock Cafe.
    I this video I am playing the ES-339, the Two Rock and the EHX Soul Food.

I hope you like it, even if I'm a little flat in the backing vocals.

http://youtu.be/AJ0We6Pvsvc
    Oh my, oh my it sounds really sweet Jimi I love it Great vocals even if I think the sound engineer use far too much repeat on the delay
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great although I agree with Jipes about the delay.

Your tone is sweet!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jipes an Robert. The sound guy decided without our okay to blend in delay randomly. As the recordings and the videographie came out so sweet we decided to publish this one anyways. Regarding the sound I can say that the Two Rock is a wonderful pedal platform, I really feel at home with this amp.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm selling my 339 by the way... I've got something better.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 339 once and sold it a couple of years ago. I regret it now. Loved that little fellow.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

The 339 is a keeper for me. When I'm longing for something Gibson like the 339 delivers. I love the quality and variety, plus it is a trusty backup guitar. Being a Strat guy through and through, I really fell in love with the smaller body and the smaller neck dimension of the 339. Further I proudly play an Epiphone to tame all the cork sniffers ;-)
    Of course I was kidding with the cork sniffers...in the end the beautiful quality and the inspiration this guitar gives me makes it a fix part and fallback in my setup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I'm selling my 339 by the way... I've got something better.
    Yes, I caught a glimpse of the replacement, you dawg, you - those gits are so beautiful! Look forward to hearing a complete demo.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

14. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
    Thanks guys, I'm glad you like it.
    @Marnold: no deep cultural reason for singing in English. Up until the mid 90's there simply was no cool German music except of 1 or 2 punk bands. For us kids of the 70's every cool song was sung in English, I think this left a mark and made English sound more natural in music than German. It doesn't feel like a big cognitive act. It's only since a couple of years that real good German lyrics in music come back and there's real great German songs, too, but for me I will just go down the English route. It's rather a neutral standpoint that doesn't relate to identification with any culture, it's simply a product of what our hearing is conditioned to, music wise ;-)
    Thanks for the explanation. Growing up here, the only non-English songs I remember were "La Bamba," several Santana songs, and a couple of Police songs where they sang part or whole in French. So singing in something other than my native tongue would have seemed odd. Having said that, when I was in choirs in school we sang a number of religious songs in Latin or German. Actual German speakers probably would have mocked our pronunciation.

The only modern music I've heard in German is some Rammstein. Some of it I can translate on the fly. Most of it I have to look up. Other German bands that I like sing in English.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski