Thread: Two weird stories, one gig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Two weird stories, one gig

Small place, dive really. But the owner treats us pretty well and the regulars like us... Friday night last...

My guitar partner and I both use and like the EH organ machine. Adds some spice to a two guitar four piece. We always test pre show and all was good. We start Band on the Run, where I use the EH C9 to emulate the little trilly things originally done on synth. Nothing there. Power to the board, fine, but hit the pedal, all quiet. Just a small part of the tune but it didn't sound legit without it.
    Same set, black. Magic woman/ gypsy queen, where james plays the organ part on his E H. Same deal. Two pedals, fine preshow, both crap out same set. Sheesh

Second story. Playing my main strat (anniversary edition). Flip the pup selector from out of phase treble to neck. The wee plastic selector tip flies off ... I mean flies. Must have flicked harder than intended. I see it in the air and instinctively reach out and catch it. In my left hand. Then it's, oh crap, pick and tip and lede coming... So naturally I popped it into my mouth for safe keeping. I mean who wouldn't? That little cream tip hits the floor among all the boards, taped cable, cords and detritus, and it will never be found.

Then, of course, I nearly swallow it. Didn't though and stuck between my teeth for the rest of the song.

Didn't notice the lady at a nearby table had been watching the whole episode. At break, getting a beer, she sidles up and asks if all that was part of the show. Sheesh again.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

The selector thing happened to me several times on my 78 Thinline Telecaster, I finally fixed it with paste glue to not have to look around all the time
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

So both EH died, never came back on....and still don't work? It would have to be an el;electricity issue, electricity problems affect different things in different ways. As far as the switch tip....assuming the lady was HOT...you should have said "I was just trying to impress on you what I can do with my mouth".

Post Thanks / Like

I played a club close to an electrical transformer station and I lost several pedals because of current surges, including my cherished TS9 that I got in high school back in the 70s. Luckily I fixed that myself. But I was pissed. Sorry about having problems with your organs (tee hee).

Now let me tell you about the night I fell into my stack and ended up on my back on top of the speakers finishing the song....

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

So funny - as I was reading, I had popped that plastic tip in my mouth before I got to that part - I could just picture the "oh crap, pick and tip and lede coming" and mentally I went right there - must be a natural response...

However, I would not have thought of continuing to play on my back on top of a speaker cab, Spud!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it seems many can relate. The organ thingies appear to be fine. They have
    their own power source, so dirty power is what someone said. Just weird.

If I fall on to a stack, I'm packin it in. Good for you for keepin on Spud.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

The show must go on! Besides, I was pretty buzzed at the time so it wasn't much different from actually standing up. I actually think most people didn't even notice because as we hung out in the venue afterwards nobody even mentioned it to me other than the guys on stage. Stealth crash.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hand a power issue once. The amp was one, but somehow also dead. Had to borrow a Fender DLX from the band that supported us at that gig.

The tip catch story is cool. I bet the lady was pretty excited ;-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)