Thread: NGD - Gibson Derek Trucks Sig. SG

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD - Gibson Derek Trucks Sig. SG

Hey friends,

Was in the market for a 2016 LP Faded T. Then discovered this last Detek Trucks SG. I've spent 3 hours playing the LP and the SG - both beautiful guitars, but the SG fitted my playing a little better, being a Strat guy.

Here's a little video I've recorded:
    https://youtu.be/q8I64sUSy2A

https://youtu.be/q8I64sUSy2A
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Really thick and warm sounding - sounds like quite a tonal change for you, Jimi. Nice playing, as always.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks TJ!
    It's more of a very welcome addition to my sound arsenal. My Strat remains the one guitar to rule them all. I think the SG will find a slot in about 40% of our set.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

One question Jimi do you play onstage with this Line6 thing ? It sounds slightly harsh to my ears with your new axe, pretty sure it sounds amazing in a tube amp !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes View Post
    One question Jimi do you play onstage with this Line6 thing ? It sounds slightly harsh to my ears with your new axe, pretty sure it sounds amazing in a tube amp !
    The Line6 thing is just for home use. Maybe I need to tweak the preset a little more to the SG's sound. On stage I only use tube amps. Through the Two Rock the SG sounds warm and multi dimensional, unfortunately my home recording options are limited, but I'm sure I'll soon have live recordings. It's an amazing instrument that seems to be the logical extension to my Strat sound - with both guitars I can cover all the ground in my band. Further, the ergonomics are great - I'd never ever believed to buy an SG. The quality is great and I can't understand all the Gibson bashing in other forums . All the Gibbies I possessed were excellent instruments in any way.