Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

NGD - more Tele love!

Thread: NGD - more Tele love!

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD - more Tele love!

It was actually a couple of weeks back, but I've been on vacation the past couple of weeks, so just getting to posting this....

I had been really missing the Squier Vintage Modified Cabronita with the Bigsby that I sold a while back. I've got the Bigsby covered with the '72 Thinline RI I bought when I sold the Squier Cab, but I liked the sound of the Filtertron-type pickup that was at the neck position. So, long story short, I'd been looking at Cabronitas online for the last couple of months, and came across a nice one at Reverb.com--the Thinline variant, MIM, with a pair of the Fender Fidelitron pickups. Made the seller an offer and it was accepted.

Really enjoying this puppy so far. It sounds like nothing else I own, with a ton of jangle from these Filtertron-type pickups. Great bite and clarity. It arrived perfectly set up--great action and spot-on intonation. I love the lightness--this makes my third semi-hollow Tele, though the Bigsby on my '72 Thinline RI pretty much negates the wood weight reduction. The neck is super-comfortable to play; there's some very slight "fret sprout" on the neck, but not enough to cause any playing discomfort.

The only feature I didn't particularly care for was the vintage Strat-style hardtail bridge, which was a little too wide for the guitar--the two E strings aligned poorly with the outer pickup poles and were pushed out closer to the fretboard edge than I like. So I replaced it with an American Strat hardtail bridge which aligns with the pickup poles much more closely. Of course, that meant resetting the action and intonation with the saddle height and length adjustments, but that was a fairly minor task. I'll probably just stick with the stock Fidelitrons and controls for now, though further upgrades are always possible.

I did make one other change, although a purely aesthetic one--I thought the black pickguard on the white body was a bit plain, so I dressed it up a bit with a faux alligator leather p/g I found on eBay for $18 delivered. See pics below.

As purchased:

Body close-up with the new pickguard:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Happy NGD! I'm not really that familiar with those pups at all. Sound interesting, tho.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, man! Your Cab is awesome, made even mores by the mods. Nice!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That is ubercool. Would not mind one of those, but with humbuckers.

I have one of these now

The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

5. Likes Katastrophe, sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Tele madness! Robert, what do they call that tele with the P-90's? Vood, are the fidelitrons humbuckers? I'd love to hear what these two guitars sound like as they must both have some unique sounds.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

It's the Squier Custom Tele II.

Discontinued.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, have you posted clips in the past or did you just get it?

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't recorded anything with it, and I've had it for quite some time... this probably means I have too much gear. There are too many things I rarely touch. Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Axe I love the pickguard it suits well with the white lacquer
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Vood, how do you find the limited controls setup on the cabronita's?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Vood, how do you find the limited controls setup on the cabronita's?
    Its only limitation vs. a standard Tele is the lack of a tone control. The only time I miss it is when playing clean on the bridge pickup, which can get pretty ice picky. But that's not very often, as I much prefer some overdrive with that pickup, which tones down the treble. For the neck and dual pickup settings, I always run them wide open anyway. So it's not a big deal for me.

And if you miss having a tone control, it's easy enough to modify the guitar with one of THESE--no drilling needed.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you guys know me--I don't like to recommend anything without trying it, so I went ahead and installed a concentric pot for controlling both volume (lower knob) and tone (upper knob). See photo below. The concentric volume/tone control pot I used is a 500K/500K CTS pot I got from Warmoth. Excellent quality pot! They also sell the concentric knobs to fit it. The total for the three parts was $21. As I mentioned previously, unless you do quite a bit of clean playing through the bridge pickup, the Cabronita does just fine without a tone control. But you guys know me--I like to have control, so I thought I'd go ahead and try out this modification. Works like a charm. For the wiring, I used a diagram I came across on the TDPRI forums, which also incorporates a treble bleed to keep the output from getting muddy when the volume is turned down. Turned out that it had the connections from the toggle switch common lug and the output jack "hot" lead switched on the volume pot, so the tone control didn't work initially, but swapping those two wires fixed that. Corrected wiring diagram attached below.

The photo of the concentric pot knobs also shows the replacement bridge I installed--it's a American Strat hardtail bridge, Fender P/N 003-2909-000. I don't understand why this isn't original equipment on the Thinline Cabronita, as it aligns much better with the Fidelitron pickup pole pieces and gives a more comfortable spacing between the E strings and the edges of the fretboard. One note of caution, though--the width between the two outside mounting holes is about 1/8" narrower than the stock bridge, so when installing it on the body, you need to mount the middle screw first and then angle the two outside screws to fit the holes in the body. Torque the two outside screws down evenly/carefully and you'll have no problem. The string-through hole spacing of the bridge vs. the body is also correspondingly narrower, but there's still enough overlap on the outside holes to get the strings through without a problem.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

14. Likes sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Well, you guys know me--I don't like to recommend anything without trying it, so I went ahead and installed a concentric pot for controlling both volume (lower knob) and tone (upper knob). See photo below. The concentric volume/tone control pot I used is a 500K/500K CTS pot I got from Warmoth. Excellent quality pot! They also sell the concentric knobs to fit it. The total for the three parts was $21. As I mentioned previously, unless you do quite a bit of clean playing through the bridge pickup, the Cabronita does just fine without a tone control. But you guys know me--I like to have control, so I thought I'd go ahead and try out this modification. Works like a charm. For the wiring, I used a diagram I came across on the TDPRI forums, which also incorporates a treble bleed to keep the output from getting muddy when the volume is turned down. Turned out that it had the connections from the toggle switch common lug and the output jack "hot" lead switched on the volume pot, so the tone control didn't work initially, but swapping those two wires fixed that. Corrected wiring diagram attached below.

The photo of the concentric pot knobs also shows the replacement bridge I installed--it's a American Strat hardtail bridge, Fender P/N 003-2909-000. I don't understand why this isn't original equipment on the Thinline Cabronita, as it aligns much better with the Fidelitron pickup pole pieces and gives a more comfortable spacing between the E strings and the edges of the fretboard. One note of caution, though--the width between the two outside mounting holes is about 1/8" narrower than the stock bridge, so when installing it on the body, you need to mount the middle screw first and then angle the two outside screws to fit the holes in the body. Torque the two outside screws down evenly/carefully and you'll have no problem. The string-through hole spacing of the bridge vs. the body is also correspondingly narrower, but there's still enough overlap on the outside holes to get the strings through without a problem.

Very cool! I have always liked the idea of the Cabronita style tele, but thought it should have a tone control. Leave it to DVM!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson