Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Fender Deluxe Strat

Thread: Fender Deluxe Strat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fender Deluxe Strat

Has anybody seen these new Fender Deluxe Strats? They look pretty nice. They would tick off all the boxes of stuff I'd be looking for in a Strat. At times I feel like I should have a more "grown up" guitar than my Jackson. I don't know if I'm just feeling old or what the thing is. Of course I'd have to sell off my Jackson and '51 before I could even begin to consider this. Even then, I'm not sure what if anything I get for them.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

First off, you KNOW what a lover of Strats I am, Rev. I wouldn't have six of 'em (and owned a couple more that I've since sold) if that wasn't so. That said, I think you should have a better rationale than having "a more grown up guitar" before dropping the $800 those go for. Does the Deluxe Strat do something(s) that your current guitars don't? Are you pining for that genuine Strat tone and the Jackson and '51 can't scratch that itch? Are you willing to forego the things that your current guitars can do that a Strat cannot? Just some things to think about....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

3. Likes RedFenderBender liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good feedback and good questions, Vood.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

You make good points. This is more pie in the sky probably. It's just rare that I see a Strat that I don't think, "It'd be great, once I changed this, that, and the other thing." It's probably all going to be moot anyway since we are probably going to have to replace our van. Many problems, not the least of which is the front subframe. Looking at a small car instead.

The advantages over my other guitars would be this:
    1) Middle pickup for those two in-between sounds, while still having the option of bridge and neck
    2) While you can't dive bomb (as much) with the trem, you can still get the subtle warble thing plus it's MUCH easier to set intonation
    3) It has noiseless pickups, which I'd prefer in a single coil
    4) Doesn't look like a mid-life crisis as much as my Jackson does
    5) I've had a love-hate relationship with the Jazz pup in the neck of my Jackson. A single coil might be better for what I like.

Disadvantages would be:
    1) Money
    2) I haven't heard the most raving reviews of the vintage noiseless pickups, although the videos I've seen for these guitars sound good
    3) I'd be tempted to replace the bridge pickup with a Lil Screamin' Demon or JB Jr.
    4) I fear I'd immediately regret selling my Jackson

My issue with the Jazz is that it seems dark and it's somewhat hard to balance with the JB. Long ago I installed a treble bleed cap to deal with the darkness issues when I roll back the volume, but I think the cap I chose is too big. It almost goes the other direction. I balance that out currently by rolling back the tone control. I don't know if it's my Jazz pup or if I'm just weird, but Duncan's site describes them as bright.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you can try them at a store?

Another option is to buy a cheapo and mod it... can be fun too.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Or in the same vein, build a "partscaster" to your personal specifications. If you're not in a hurry, you can monitor various sources (eBay, Reverb.com, The STRATosphere, etc.) for good deals on the parts you're looking for. The biggest ticket items will be the body and neck, but the good news is that you can get good quality Strat bodies and necks at very reasonable prices, particularly if you buy Squier parts (Classic Vibe or Vintage Modified model lines are the best quality) or non-Fender "licensed" parts. Many of the aftermarket pickup makers offer noiseless Strat pickups, so you should have no trouble finding some you like. I'm almost certain that you could put together a good partscaster Strat that meets your needs for $500 tops. And the build part is a cinch--a few solder joints for the electronics and the rest pretty much just screws together.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Perhaps you can try them at a store?

Resurrecting an old thread!

I stopped by a local shop today and they had a Fender Deluxe Stratocaster in stock in blue. I was going to try it, but the only guy there was helping someone else. While I was waiting, I felt the neck. It had the worst case of fret sprout I've ever experienced. Granted, it's been unseasonably cold here, but this was significantly worst than what my Squier 51 was originally. I was literally afraid I would tear up my hand if I tried to play it.

I know it's a relatively inexpensive fix, but if I'm spending $800, I don't expect to fix anything like that. Disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd pass on it too.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I sold mine a long time ago, but I do remember the neck was really great and no fret sprout. Hit and miss I guess.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

All of the I’ve played were great. The neck is a dream!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)