Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
How about that US election?

Thread: How about that US election?

Hybrid View

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems Trump does stupid things almost every day. The Taiwan/China issue - that's not good at all. What could happen is that Taiwan get in deeper problems with China, and then expect USA to help them. I do not think it's a good idea for USA to piss off China.

His tendency to avoid media and call them biased (when he doesn't like what they report) is also scary. Their job is to challenge whoever is in government - without them we wouldn't have a clue what is really going on. The government is always challenged by media, and they should be. It's part of a democracy. So keeping information from media and slamming them when they reports things that put the government in negative light - perhaps that's what he wants? Immediately, names like Stalin and Mao comes to mind...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    It seems Trump does stupid things almost every day. The Taiwan/China issue - that's not good at all. What could happen is that Taiwan get in deeper problems with China, and then expect USA to help them. I do not think it's a good idea for USA to piss off China.

His tendency to avoid media and call them biased (when he doesn't like what they report) is also scary. Their job is to challenge whoever is in government - without them we wouldn't have a clue what is really going on. The government is always challenged by media, and they should be. It's part of a democracy. So keeping information from media and slamming them when they reports things that put the government in negative light - perhaps that's what he wants? Immediately, names like Stalin and Mao comes to mind...
    I would have to disagree using the word "stupid". Time will tell if what he does is stupid, he is not even sworn in yet. As far as China/Taiwan...China has been building up in the area for many years (Under Bush and Obama...maybe even Clinton)....and nothing has been done about it. I don't think the US should be afraid to "piss off" China, that just sounds like pure weakness and I believe a big reason why Trump won. People really do want change, maybe they'll regret it....but that's what it comes down to IMHO.
    I also would not agree about Trump avoiding the media, it's true he has avoided some of the "normal media channels and expectations"....but he used social media and all of the media reported it 24/7....he out media'd Hillary while she spent 20 times more money than him. I'd call that smart. I don't feel Hillary was challenged much by the media at all....Bernie was (cause that's what the DNC wanted done). Bernie is the one that got screwed.
    A totally agree with you that the media's biggest job is to challenge government, but they really need to do it evenhandedly, and YES that goes for both sides.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jtees4 View Post
    I don't feel Hillary was challenged much by the media at all....
    Really?? The constant coverage of her e-mail server issues didn't qualify as being "challenged?" Rightly or wrongly, that coverage kept emphasizing the "untrustworthy" criticism about her and (IMO) more than any other single issue, cost her the election. In the key battleground states of PA, MI and WI, Clinton lost by a combined 103,000 votes out of about 13.1 million cast--a difference of less than 0.8%. If those three states go for the Dems, Clinton wins 278 - 260. It was that close....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

4. Likes sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Really?? The constant coverage of her e-mail server issues didn't qualify as being "challenged?" Rightly or wrongly, that coverage kept emphasizing the "untrustworthy" criticism about her and (IMO) more than any other single issue, cost her the election. In the key battleground states of PA, MI and WI, Clinton lost by a combined 103,000 votes out of about 13.1 million cast--a difference of less than 0.8%. If those three states go for the Dems, Clinton wins 278 - 260. It was that close....
    As far as the emails, there was plenty of coverage....but did they ask the hard questions or just report that republicans were still at it blah blah blah. I heard a lot of coverage that really amounted to nothing. How many times did they point out that it wasn't really about emails, but about having an unsecured server in her house? About 30,000+ deleted emails etc. Is this really acceptable?
    I totally agree with you about how close the election was. I think Hillary or her campaign really should be blamed, she decided that certain States were not worth going to because she "had them in the bag". Well, she was left holding the bag....big mistake. Remember when all the news reported that Trump was going to Michigan, they all asked "why is he wasting his time going there where he can't win?". People may not feel he is smart, but he certainly was right. The fact is, Hillary's time was 2008. It was her turn as far as Dems were concerned, she blew it, Barack Obama did not cooperate and beat her. She should not have been running again, the Dems put up a weak old candidate and lost. To me, that was the real bottom line. IMHO Biden or Warren would have won. Nothing to do with Trump.