Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
geez, ya'll are still here?

Thread: geez, ya'll are still here?

Post Thanks / Like

Default geez, ya'll are still here?

Hey kids! Been a while since I lurked here. Robert and his software could probably tell you when exactly, but I know it's been a while. I've felt connected by association, as our good man DVM migrated over to the Heritage fanboy site, got bit, bought one, and before long, despite my warnings to all assembled, he went and earned himself a reputation as a generally fine chap and authority on all things which contain solder.

I've spent less and less time on forums in general, which I think is a good thing. Recently I've been picking up my guitar more often, and I'm getting an itch to develop my skill. We'll see how that goes, but I thought I'd swing through here and see how you lads are doing, maybe stir up a little drama.

HUGE changes for me over the last couple years. I'm sure I'll catch you up by the by.

I know I have a LOT of updating to do to the signature, as I sold almost all of my gear. Down to the nitty gritty, which i actually USE. Sing with a soul band in Chicago and play a smidge of acoustic AND electric in that capacity, which means I need solid gear, so that's all I've kept. Eyeballing a tele, but pretty much GAS free for some time now. I hope you'll let me hang out any way.

So, what'd I miss?
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back! It's never too late!

The forum is very UnBusy lately... as for me, I'm continuing my lessons on my website, and I just upgraded my Hagstrom Viking by putting in Porter Pickups. Awesome tone now.

I'm trying to start a trio as well, just for fun. We are two practices in and so far so good.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see you back! With a name-change, methinks... Sounds like your life has taken some interesting turns, but glad to hear it still includes music. Do update us, and tell us about the band!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

welcome back, the forums all over are very very quiet Social Network is eating up all the time
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the welcome. The name change happened a few years back. Wanted to be uniform as much as possible across forums when tapatalk kicked in.

You know I became a GREAT uncle yesterday, My folks first GREAT grandchild, born in the fine town of Plymouth MA. It's basically the center of the universe for my family this Thanksgiving. My nephew and his wife each lived their entire lives there. He's a town engineer and she's a school teacher. They're invested, you could say.

the band: 8 piece soul band. Started by myself and my Italian ex-pat buddy who ALWAYS wanted to have a "Commitments" style band, but doesn't sing and didn't know many people in Chicago. We became friends through guitars, and one evening he was at an open mic and I was covering Otis with another buddy...bam, he was relentless and we put a band together for a single 30 min set, and people had so much fun, we kept it going for 2 years now. We're a bunch of amateurs with one notable exception, our Bari Sax player has toured professionally for years. Really, we're a showcase for the horn section, the rest of us doing our best to present a decent framework for them. We started to gain some traction and actually get some decent paying gigs in between bar gigs where we're lucky if the house allows us a drink tab.

recent set list:

Knock on Wood / Eddie Floyd
    Who's Makin' Love / Johnnie Taylor
    Tell Mama / Etta
    Hold On I'm Comin / Sam & Dave
    Tryin to Live My Life Without You / Otis clay
    Shotgun / Jr. Walker
    That's What Love Will Make You do / Little Milton
    Try a Little Tenderness / Redding
    Nutbush City Limits Tina Turner
    Land Of 1000 Dances / Pickett
    Dancin' to The Beat / Clarence Murray
    You Know I'm No good / Winehouse
    Vehicle/ Ides of March
    Letter/ Cocker

That was a 45 min set we did on a showcase night with 4 bands, but it gives you an idea. We'll throw in a couple suprise gems for folks...Them Changes by Buddy Miles or Pick up the pieces by AWB...always catches them off guard. Not your usual bar cover band fare.

Most of all, at 50, I'm still stretching my comfort zone and having a ball with good friends, so I consider it a smashing success.

Thanks for asking

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Heya, Kip! Good to see you back here. Looks like you've got some cool stuff goin' on!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Welcome back! It's never too late!

The forum is very UnBusy lately... as for me, I'm continuing my lessons on my website, and I just upgraded my Hagstrom Viking by putting in Porter Pickups. Awesome tone now.

I'm trying to start a trio as well, just for fun. We are two practices in and so far so good.
    I dig the hagstroms in general. The super viking looks like a great guitar.

What genre is your trio attacking? Are you channeling Bill(y) Gibbons or Bill Frisell?

Howdy, Vood. Nice to be here

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Kidsmoke......welcome back. What was your old handle here? I know we must have conversed previously. Glad things are going well for you. Love that you're playing SOUL tunes.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely PBP, I think you were digging the Mahaffay Little Lanilei, for slide perhaps??

Tio Kimo. This goes back a ways

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I thought that was you......especially when you said you were in Chicago. Never did get the Little Lanilei. Hope to start playing more shortly. Mostly slide and lap steel thru DVM's Blues Jr that had all the BillM mods done to it. Funny about SOUL music......I'll hear some Spinners or even the Pointer Sisters and think they are good up-tempo tunes that would be great for slidin'. haha

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well we are trying to figure that out, kidsmoke. Blues, jazz, funk is on the menu...
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kidsmoke View Post
    I dig the hagstroms in general. The super viking looks like a great guitar....
    I unexpectedly became a Hag owner this past winter when a local guy advertised his Ultraswede + HSC for $250! Snapped that puppy right up. Love the neck on it, and the pickups sound REALLY good, esp. the bridge:

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Man, that is a cool set list. Do you have a female vocalist or do the tunes with female leads get done by male singers? I'd love to hear that show.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    I unexpectedly became a Hag owner this past winter when a local guy advertised his Ultraswede + HSC for $250! Snapped that puppy right up. Love the neck on it, and the pickups sound REALLY good, esp. the bridge
    Sweet looking guitar. Love the quilted top in that colour. Assume the wee switch is a coil tap?
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott View Post
    ...Assume the wee switch is a coil tap?
    'Tis, indeed!

I made one change, though--didn't like the open black pickups, so I installed a set of chrome covers:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah - the chrome covers really make it look sharp.

Great set list, Kidsmoke - sounds like a fun show to both hear and play! I wonder if I know your nephew, seeing as I live here in Plymouth, too? If you don't mind, pm me the last name.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Well we are trying to figure that out, kidsmoke. Blues, jazz, funk is on the menu...
    sounds like a great problem to have! Have fun working it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helliott View Post
    Man, that is a cool set list. Do you have a female vocalist or do the tunes with female leads get done by male singers? I'd love to hear that show.
    Yes, Cathy is an Irish red head on keys and vocals. myself on Lead vocals and guitar:Acoustic rhythm on tunes such as "into the mystic" and "you are the best thing" and "sittin' on the dock of the bay", electric "texture" on tunes like gimme some lovin, them changes, who's makin' love, The only tune my electric is out front on is pick up the pieces, since there is no vocal, i can focus. It's a repetetive stacatto riff, in a tune that, if not tite, shouldn't be played.

bass
    drums
    lead guitarist
    bari sax
    trumpet
    and a dude that is a ringer, plays tenor sax, but also slings a mean harp and has a wonderful smoky blues voice, which we indulge on longer nights.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a ton of fun. Love to hear and see audio/video if you ever have the opportunity.
    helliott in Hamilton