Thread: Sometimes you CAN go home again

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sometimes you CAN go home again

A few weeks ago I decided I wanted some customizing done to my goldtop LP. I remembered a luthier that had done great work for me in the past. In the early 90s my Kramer Pacer needed fret work and I took it to Ronaldo Orlandoni. Ronaldo had done work for many years for little guys like me and big name clients like Peter Frampton, Dickie Betts, and Buck Dharma, to name just a few.

So back in time (and about 38 miles) I went to one of my favorite music stores frequented in my younger days - Pastore Music. Everyone looked the same as I remembered 25 years ago, except maybe grayer. I was happily surprised that both the owner, Jerry, and Ronaldo remembered my name. It was great to see the place crowded on an early Saturday afternoon. Going into Pastore's was like hopping into the Wayback Machine. Back to a time where my biggest worry was if a zit would be gone before a show or a date I had planned.

I took my son with me and he was captivated by the size of the place - 4 stories. Ronaldo's workshop was probably the most impressive. There were some seriously expensive vintage pieces in there getting some TLC.
    Soon my work will be finished and I'll post pictures of what Ronaldo did and some pictures of his shop and pieces worked on. There really is nothing quite like a familiar mom and pop store from your youth. The few others I also frequented are surprisingly still around and doing OK. I can't emphasize enough to support your local mom and pop places. These people do more than just sell you a product. I recommend going home again if you can. It's beyond cathartic.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Funny thing. I would like to give my biz to a local operator. Always my preference. But the only two ma pa local stores had problems - their staff weren't very knowledgeable. I recall being in one, just sniffing around, and overhearing a sales guy with a young boy and his grampa. Grampa was buying him an amp for Christmas (maybe bday, can't recall). Anyway, sales guy is trying to sell them on a blues amp -- nice Peavy 2X10. But the kid is saying he the music he wants to play is hard rock. Kid is trying out the amp, salesguy goes away, and I said to grampa you should try an amp that's more Marshall-y than a default clean blues tone. You could get hard rock tones form that amp, but you would have had to work for them, with pedals etc. Weird thing is, the right amp was right nearby, a small Orange. Grampa and the kid try the Orange and take that. Don't think the salesguy was too happy, but ... I ended up taking the blues amp later. That store is now out of business.
    The other locally-owned store same thing. Staff just kinda goofy, like to show off their own chops and really not too aware of products etc.
    So although I like to shop local, I go to the local outlet of the national chain. Excellent staff, service etc, and they can actually tell me stuff I don't know.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Cool story - with so many local places gone, it must have been great to see it still there and thriving - and with the same staff! They are clearly doing something right.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp