Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
FS: "Plexified" BYOC Brit 45 Amp Head

Thread: FS: "Plexified" BYOC Brit 45 Amp Head

Post Thanks / Like

Default FS: "Plexified" BYOC Brit 45 Amp Head

** SOLD **

Much as I love this amp, some things have to go to cover what I recently spent for THIS, so this puppy is up for sale. Here's the rundown:

As some of you probably know, there's not a heckuva lot of difference between the legendary Marshall JTM45 and Model 1987 50W "Plexi" amp circuits--mostly, it's the change from tube to solid state rectification, and from KT66 to EL34 output tubes (with a corresponding change in the OT for this different tube type). Beyond that, it's basically some different resistor and capacitor values at various points in the circuit. To make a long story (which you can find HERE) short, I modified my build of the BYOC Brit 45 amp head kit (their true-to-the-original clone of the JTM45) with the EL34's and different OT but kept the rectifier tube. Keith "Mr. BYOC" Vonderhulls was good enough to tell me what else to change in the Brit 45 circuit to properly handle these output stage changes, plus a few other resistor and cap changes. In the end, what I built is basically the '66 JTM50, which was a transitional model between the JTM45 and Model 1987 50W "Plexi". So think of this amp as a 50W Plexi head with tube rectification, 'cuz that's pretty much exactly what it is.

I didn't stop there, though, since 50W of Marshall power was w-a-a-a-y-y too much for my playin'-at-home needs. So I also wired in a variable voltage reduction (VVR) module that I got from Keith to tame the output volume while still being able to get that juicy Marshall crunch tone. That's controlled with the red knob in the rear panel. A couple of months later, I also wired in a pre-phase inverter master volume control (that's the knob where the low sensitivity input jack for the Normal channel would be in the large frontal photo below) when I found out what an easy mod that was. So you can dial down the output volume two different ways, separately or in combination--take your pick. Or leave them both "dimed" and use the two Loudness controls on the front panel for a pure JTM50 experience.

The amp has very low usage hours (less than 50, I'm sure), has never left my "man cave" and is in the mint condition that the attached photos show. I'll be happy to answer any questions--just send me a PM. I'm posting the amp here and in a couple of other forums I frequent for the next week or two; if it doesn't sell by then, it'll go up on Reverb.com. Shipping to US or Canadian destinations only. PayPal payment required. Price is $899 + FedEx Ground shipping. Since the unassembled Brit 45 kit by itself is $790, I think that's a pretty outstanding value!

Last edited by duhvoodooman; January 24th, 2017 at 09:30 PM.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Since we have some new members here allow me a minute to discuss ANY product from DVM. ANYTHING he offers is worth the price he places on it. When he was building pedals, I bought about 4 or 5 pedals (BYOC clones) that he assembled an decaled that are excellent. Occasionally, he puts some of his private stock of gits and amphs for sale. I have a Tele clone and Fender Blues Jr with all the BillM mods done to it. I have been extremely happy with everything I bought. I have no need for another tube head which is why I am not all over this.

3. Likes duhvoodooman*** liked this post
    Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I am interested. Got any audio clips?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I am interested. Got any audio clips?
    No, not of this particular amp. I believe there maybe a clip or two posted by BYOC on YouTube.

I just don't have a decent set-up for recording good quality audio or video clips. And I've seen/heard enough bad ones to want to avoid that kind of outcome!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

SOLD!! Thanks for looking....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Guess who bought it? ME! Yah baby!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Guess who bought it? ME! Yah baby!
    I was wondering. Two comments:
    1) Clips or it didn't happen
    2) Does this amph give you screaming solos?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Patience! I just shipped it today and Robert isn't scheduled to get it until next Fri. 2/3.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Patience! I just shipped it today and Robert isn't scheduled to get it until next Fri. 2/3.
    No! We are the Internet! Everything must happen immediately!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

...and I see a photo of it in someone's avatar...!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Yep!

Post Thanks / Like

Now I'm interested in hearing that baby. I'd rather be in front of it to feel it though. If you can't be Prince - a purple amph is the next best thing.

Screaming solos to commence.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

14. Likes Robert**** liked this post