Thread: Mic Ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mic Ideas

On Friday I completed my 49th orbit around Sol which means I have a little bit of money to spend. For some time I've wanted to get a decent mic. I'd use it for recording spoken vocals for a radio devotion I do every couple of months. Right now I drive to the radio station to record. I'd also like to use it for recording my guitar or bass. I would be recording via my computer and Audacity.

Of those I've come up with the following ideas from most to least expensive:
    1) Shure SM7 with a X2u preamp/USB converter. A classic. The radio station uses something at least similar to it. The mic at least should last forever. At Amazon for $199. Would also need an XLR cable. It comes with a USB cable. Wish it was the other way around because I have plenty of USB cables.
    2) Rode NT-USB. I really like how it sounded in Rob Chapman's reviews of it awhile back. I would be simple, but could never be used with an XLR (doubting that would be an issue with me). Sounded good with guitar and vocals. At Amazon for $169
    3) Blue Yeti. A lot of podcasters/Twitch streamers use it. I don't know many who use it to record electric guitar, though. Right now I can get the blackout version on Amazon for $115. Would need to get a pop filter, although I never use one when I record at the radio station.

Thoughts? Input? Banter?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, right now Musician's Friend has 15% off on orders $199 and above. Works with the SM57.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I've always kept a Shure Beta 58a mic in my bag.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a cheap ribbon mic for my amp when recording. I like a lot more than the SM57. It's called Apex 205. I haven't tried for speaking though but it should work.

I had a fairly cheap MXL 990 condenser mic that sounded really good for speaking. Not for guitar amps though.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

5. Likes sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I ended up getting a Rode NT-USB at a local shop. I just got home with it and only verified that it works with my computer (in Linux, no less!). I'm using Audacity for recording. I'm quite happy with the initial sound of my voice recordings. I'll post some clips as I have opportunity. May be a couple of weeks, since Lent starts on Wednesday which means the Rev. Rawk will need more time to Rev. then to Rawk.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

It should sound great for speaking but may be a not so great for Rockin guitar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    It should sound great for speaking but may be a not so great for Rockin guitar...
    Entirely possible, but I watched/listened to so many different comparisons that it should still be pretty good even with guitar. We shall see. Regardless it will be infinitely better than any of the relatively crappy solutions I've used to this point.

My #1 priority was voice quality for the radio broadcasts. As good as an SM57 can sound with voice, I just thought the Rode sounded better.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Blues radio show since 2 years and I record from time to time my show at home with Garage Band. For this I use a Shure Beta57A which gives me a warm and clear tone it's a great mike also for singing live but I never record a guitar with it for this I use my T Bone SCT-2000

Here is an example of my radio shows
    https://www.mixcloud.com/radio-mne/k...-n10-22062015/
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

For voice (spoken, not singing) I use a Rode SmartLav+.
    For guitar recordings I use a super cheap Superlux PRA 628.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)