Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

fully in love with a Semi

Thread: fully in love with a Semi

Post Thanks / Like

Default fully in love with a Semi

inspired by Roberts Hag....Who else here reaches for an electric that pushes air? Let's see photos.

My one and only.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Is that an actual wood pick guard?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Is that an actual wood pick guard?
    yep, flamed maple like the top.

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

The Flamed maple PG is a Heritage trademark. even when they do a more "typical" presentation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kidsmoke View Post
    yep, flamed maple like the top.
    Cool! Except I'd be nervous to actually use it as a scratch plate Especially since I assume that is a nitro finish which can be damaged easily as opposed to a poly finish which can withstand a direct nuclear strike.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

yep, that's a fair concern. It is nitro. But I can tell you, this is played out a couple times a month, in and out of 20 degree cars and 80 degree bars, and it's as you see it. If it wears, I'll consider it well earned.

Post Thanks / Like

I like to push air! I have one full hollowbody, one semi-hollowbody, and three, well, I guess you'd call them semi-semi-hollowbodies.

The full hollowbody is a Gretsch Electromatic G5420T. It does have a small support block about 3/4" square beneath the bridge, but is otherwise completely hollow:

The semi is another Heritage, this one an H555 model that Kip helped me acquire from one of the regulars over at the Heritage Owner's Club. Definitely one of my most beautiful guitars:

Then I have three different takes on the classic Telecaster Thinline theme--from l. to r. a '72 Thinline Reissue with an aftermarket Bigsby, a G&L Tribute series ASAT Classic Bluesboy SH, and a Thinline Cabronita with Fender's take on Gretsch Filter'Tron pickups, which they call "Fideli'Trons." All three have the cavity just on the right 1/3 or so of the body.

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Really love my Epi ES-339. Such a beautiful instrument!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I like all of those guitars Vood. How are the Mid range p'ups on the '72 reissue? I know a guy with the real deal who plays through an old Boogie combo, dimed, and gets amazing tone. That'd be the one of the group that'd get my attention, I think.

Jimi-

339? I don't see a 339. You sure you've got a 339?

Post Thanks / Like

How are the Mid range p'ups on the '72 reissue? I know a guy with the real deal who plays through an old Boogie combo, dimed, and gets amazing tone. That'd be the one of the group that'd get my attention, I think.
    OK, guitar geek-out warning....

They're not the stock RI pickups, which frankly bore only physical resemblance to the Wide-Range pickups that came in the original '72 Thinline. Those used individual threaded rod CuNiFe magnets rather than the typical humbucker construction with a bar magnet under steel pole pieces, and were known for their great clarity & string definition. The RI pickups, on the other hand, are basically just standard humbuckers in the Fender WR casing.

The original owner had the RI pickups upgraded by a pickup builder named Curtis Novak, who basically replaced the "guts" of the pickups with threaded rod magnets wound to the original Fender specs. You can read about his Wide-Range humbucker replacements HERE. I contacted Curtis and provided him with some photos of the pickups, and he confirmed that they are some of his earliest conversions. I also took one to work, where we had a portable X-ray fluorescence analyzer for positively identifying metals and alloys (a necessary tool when building high precision industrial machinery). I was able to determine that the pole pieces were a permanent magnetic alloy of iron, chromium and cobalt (FeCrCo)--apparently, this alloy is easier to obtain than CuNiFE, while still being easy to machine.

In any case, they sound great, and definitely have the clarity and brightness that the originals were known for. They sound somewhere between a humbucker and the classic Fender single coil tone. I own nothing else that sounds like them.
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; February 18th, 2017 at 03:43 PM.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

See? I didn't know i knew, but somehow I knew. Man, have I got an eye. Maple board too. That's gotta be one of the keepers.

Post Thanks / Like

See? I didn't know i knew, but somehow I knew.
    ...Prolly 'cuz you read AND COMMENTED on my post about the acquisition of the guitar a bit over 2 years ago: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/22055

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Dohh! I guess I know what I like.

Post Thanks / Like

This made me realize that air-filled guitars are all that I have at this point:

An Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor Pro hollow body

A Sheraton II

THe Epi Wildkat

I guess that the Danelectro could even be considered semi-hollow, though it has no f-holes so it's an enclosed semi
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Nice trio of Epi's there!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have incidentally become an Epi fan over the past few years. Partly because I've moved to preferring humbuckers to single coils (with the P-90's being something of a cross between sound-wise), and partly because they've all been well-built, nice-playing a good looking guitars.

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

^ Funny you mention your change of mind - I prefer HBs nowadays, too. Never thought this could happen, but my SG made me a believer.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Yeah, I have incidentally become an Epi fan over the past few years.
    Ted, those are all beautiful! I would love to hear your thoughts if you were able to AB those against Heritages of similar ilk. Those are right in their wheel house. And I'm sure I missed it if you reviewed the Wildkat, those seem like a great value.

Jimi, sounds to me like you have quite the collection. The guitar player in my band has a great selection as well, but is seems more and more all he's bringing out is his SG.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a live Heritage, but it would be fun to try one - they look beautiful and I only hear great stuff about them. I really like the Kat and have had it for quite a while now, and it has always survived herd thinnings. I like the P-90's - they can play clean or crunchy and can sound like single's or almost HB's. I also like the feel of the guitar, and love the Bigsby. I did rewire it with lower impedence cable based on an online suggestion as they are a little dark sounding, which made a nice improvement.