Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
RIP.....Tom Pettingill

Thread: RIP.....Tom Pettingill

Post Thanks / Like

Default RIP.....Tom Pettingill

I recently learned that Tom Pettingill unexpectedly passed on 01/05/17. You may ask who he was.

To myself and other lap steel players.....he was the consummate artisan...he made beautiful, aesthetically pleasing lap steels.

Every part of his steels had function though, nothing was wasted or superfluous.

Gorgeous works of art that sounded as wonderful as they looked. He knew his wood....all about pickups.......a finishing expert with Tru-Oil.

Above all that he was the most humble of men, a free and reliable disseminator of knowledge.

He was my friend. Over the course of 7 years, he built 4 stunning lap steels for me.

All 4 looked different from each other and they sounded different from each other.

I will link, later today, to a site Tom put up of pictures of his steels. Drool-worthy stuff.

If there's any interest I can put up links to the pics and story of each of my steels.

RIP brother!

Post Thanks / Like

I recognized the name as soon as I saw the thread title, from your previous posts about Tom's work. So sorry to hear of his passing--my condolences on the loss of your friend.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Pie - sorry to hear about your friend's passing. It's nice to have such beautiful pieces of his handiwork to remind you of him and of your friendship.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp