Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Blackface-style Preamp Pedal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blackface-style Preamp Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blackface-style Preamp Pedal

I love my Jet City's crunchy and distorted tones but sometimes wish it had more clean headroom. Rather than look for a new amph, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a preamp predal that I could put into the effects return. I got the idea from That Pedal Show a few weeks back. I'd like something that has Blackface-style tones. They used a Kingsley Maiden which sounded cool, but $315 is a little rich for my blood. I thought of the Tech 21 Blonde character series pedal too. Any other suggestions?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Catalinbread has some pedals that can function as a preamp or amp simulator of sorts. You might want to check them out.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

You can try a cheap boost pedal, like Mooer Pure Boost for 54 dollars.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

PBP: Took me a while to figure out how their website organizes things. Any way, they have a couple that are Tweed inspired but not Blackface, unfortunately.

Robert: I do have my DVM-made "Thesis 96" which is a BYOC OD2 with some mods. Maybe I'll try that and see how it sounds. Free solutions are always the best.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Tried the OD2. Didn't work well. The boost side sounded muddy. The overdrive side always had some level of clipping, even with the gain all the way down.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Try Joyo Pedals. Very inexpensive. Maybe this one????
    https://www.cheaperpedals.com/collec...nd-jf-14-pedal

This one says Fender Blackface:
    https://www.cheaperpedals.com/collec...fender-amp-sim

The above BF-ish pedal is from the Joyo Ironman series. I have some of the Ironman pedals. They are extremely small......and really, really good.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you are better off getting another amp for clean...

A solid state / modeling amp would work great for that and they are cheap!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I think you are better off getting another amp for clean...

A solid state / modeling amp would work great for that and they are cheap!
    Boss Katana or the Blackstar ID-TVP series. Both are excellent amps with great cleans. For that matter, depending on the amp sim you select, the Fender Mustang III has a great clean too.

Post Thanks / Like

Wampler has a pedal for Blackface:

https://reverb.com/item/7492762-wampler-pedals-black-65

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the "try a different amp" suggestion. Once the "dirt" is in the signal, running it through a "clean" boost does little or no good. It's called a clean boost because it doesn't appreciably alter the character of the incoming signal (unless it also contains an EQ section of some sort) and doesn't add signal distortion. So dirt in, dirt out.

I've read great things about the Boss Katana line of amps, and they are very reasonably priced. The 50W 1x12 combo is just $219, which isn't much more than most good pedals cost....and less than some!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

11. Likes piebaldpython*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    I've read great things about the Boss Katana line of amps, and they are very reasonably priced. The 50W 1x12 combo is just $219, which isn't much more than most good pedals cost....and less than some!
    Serious Jonesing for the Katana 100 head that just happens to have a 5" speaker.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KataHead

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the "try a different amp" suggestion. Once the "dirt" is in the signal, running it through a "clean" boost does little or no good. It's called a clean boost because it doesn't appreciably alter the character of the incoming signal (unless it also contains an EQ section of some sort) and doesn't add signal distortion. So dirt in, dirt out.
    That's why I was going to run it into the return of the effects loop. It would bypass the amphs obviously gainy preamp and into a power amp that is notoriously clean.

When I first saw those, I kind of rolled my eyes. From everything I've read, my initial reaction was dead wrong.

Of course, my #1 goal now is to get myself into playing regularly again. It's been awhile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    That's why I was going to run it into the return of the effects loop. It would bypass the amphs obviously gainy preamp and into a power amp that is notoriously clean.
    Ah, I misunderstood you then. You're talking about bypassing the amp's preamp section completely and going guitar --> clean boost pedal --> amp power stage. I thought you were talking about running the preamp output into the pedal and then back into the power stage, thinking that the pedal could "clean up" the signal. As long as the pedal has whatever tone-shaping controls that you need and enough output to drive the power stage, that should work. I still think that a different amp would offer you greater flexibility and control, but that's your call.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, here's a blackface "amp-in-a-box" pedal you might like and it certainly won't break the bank. See video review below. You can find them on Amazon.com for a little over $30 including shipping. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/JF-14-America...H8K/ref=sr_1_2

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Follow-up post to the Joyo American Sound post preceding:

Looking at this series of Joyo pedals, I saw two that interested me--the British Sound (Marshall type) and the AC Tone. And since they were both priced only a tad over $30, I grabbed one of each off Amazon. In a nutshell, the British Sound is quite good and the AC Tone is VERY good, IMO. Between the 3-band EQ, drive, and voice controls, there are a tone of tones in this box, from clean to filthy. Very sturdy feeling pedal, too, not flimsy at all. And for the price, it's an amazing value. I didn't think that the British Sound had quite the range of tones that the AC Tone does, but "opinions vary", as they say.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

17. Likes piebaldpython*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Vood - did you use these pedals as sansamps or did you run them through an amp?
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

I've run the AC Tone in my pedal chain and also directly into the effects loop return of my HRD. With the latter, it was hard to keep the volume down to a reasonable level, but it sounded quite good. Keep in mind I play at home in a relatively small room, so it doesn't take much for the output to get uncomfortably loud. Haven't tried it through a DI box rather than an amp yet, but may try that at my church some time.

I really like how the pedal sounds with the drive around 11 - 12 o'clock and the voice around 3 o'clock, run through my BYOC Tweed Royal set to a low/clean output level. Just a really juicy, rich tone, even at very reasonable volumes.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

20. Likes piebaldpython*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ugh! May have to try one...
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Vood - did you use these pedals as sansamps or did you run them through an amp?
    TJ....you can run the Joyo Amp sim pedals either directly into the amp or use it as a "preamp" into a power amp configuration. I belong to another website and some steel players like to run the Joyo or Tech 21 Sansamps right into a power amp. Joyos are very well built, good quality pedals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast