Thread: Vintage Semi-Hollow Body Guitars and Amps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vintage Semi-Hollow Body Guitars and Amps

Hi,

I'd appreciate some thoughts on getting the best sound from vintage Japanese semi-hollow body guitars from the 1960's and early 70's. Presently I'm using a newer Fender Champion 20 (modeling) amp (just playing for personal enjoyment) and sound is overall thinner than I'd prefer (not full enough generally). While I've learned that this is characteristic of PUP's from this era, what amps might create a "fuller" sound ? I have a Crate 125D Acoustic amp to work with if anyone has any suggestions. Not looking to spend a ton on amp and would benefit from some informed feedback on getting the most out of the 2 amps I already have.

Venture V-1300 (1970) -- 175 copy Jazz Box
    Greco Shrike (1967) - 335 copy
    Conrad 335 copy (late 60's or early 70's)

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Blackstar ID-TVP amps. Once you hit the TVP button, the sound just gets magnified and slightly compressed......amazing. That ONE thing sets the Blackstar ID series to a whole other level, IMHO.

3. Likes dougpg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Try a graphic or parametric EQ. Do it at the store along with other amp options. I bought a Fender Deluxe Reverb especially for the Baseman circuit. It makes my Epiphone Sheraton ( China) sound huge.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk