Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Illness at home
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illness at home

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Illness at home

I've thought a lot about whether I should post anything about this in public. I know this place isn't as active as it used to be, but it's the first place online where I really made good friends, so I feel it may be helpful for myself to share this.

Here goes. My wife has cancer and it's not curable. It's stage 4.

The news hit this spring. She has had a tumour removed but it has spread.

She is right now on strong chemo, and we hope it can put the breaks on the big C. It's tough. Our youngest daughter is 14.

I don't know what else to say. Feel free to ask questions.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts and prayers from me, Robert. Been through this several times with my own family.
    "Always go heavy on the effects and try to blind the audience with expensive gear." - hubberjub

I mean, no offense, but I don't really see why, like guitar players from Creed, or something like that, are on the cover of guitar magazines. Almost anybody can sit down and learn to play those songs.
    Dweezil Zappa

3. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Robert - I'm glad that you felt that you could share this news here. I'm sure that those of us who still hang around here, as well as the many good folks who have over the years been a part of the community that you started here, will be pulling for you. I am so sorry to hear that your family is in the middle of this terribly difficult situation. Thoughts and prayers to you, along with hopes for what modern medicine can do.

Ted
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

5. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn Robert.......sorry to hear about your wife. Prayers and mojo coming you and your family's way. If you don't have a will, I would strongly suggest getting one for you and your wife that covers death, power of attorney, medical directives and what happens to the minor children and your estate in case something happens to you too! I realize that it sounds morbid, but it really is the best thing for all. All of your wishes are spelled out and you want to leave nothing to chance.

That was the great thing about adopting our daughter 30 yrs ago.......in order to finalize the adoption, we had to present a will covering me, my wife and daughter. No muss, no fuss....just in case.

Just curious, what organ(s) is affected the most by her cancer? Feel free to PM me if you need to vent, discuss things.

7. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lungs and liver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Very saddened to read of this, Robert. My wife and I will definitely remember your wife & your family in our prayers.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

10. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Toughts and prayer to you and your family Robert, I feel so sad for you, I had lost so many friends recently of the awful Crab. I really do hope and pray that the doctors somehow will be wrong or at least that your wife won't suffer too much. It's really hard to give consolation and I feel pretty stupid and lame with the words but I send you tons of frienship and prayers form France
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

12. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Lungs and liver.

UGH! We will continue to pray for you and yours!

14. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very sad reading this, Robert. Stay positive though. I truly hope your wife beats it. My favorite uncle's mom was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer many years ago. They have her 3 months. She died 24 years later at 88. She said she wasn't ready to check out yet so she wouldn't. Amazing woman she was.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

16. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My prayers are certainly with you, your wife, and your family as well. I don't want to hold out false hope but what Stingx said is absolutely true. Even with all of our medical technology, predicting the future of cancer is an inexact science at best. Just had a couple of breast cancer scares in my family. Thankfully, it seems like surgery was able to take care of them. They of course will be watched like a hawk for years to come.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

18. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert, knowing you for so long, your news saddens me very much. My prayers will include you. I can hardly imagine the situation you are going through and the thoughts that keep you busy now day and night , but I hope you find the strength as a family to cherish every day and keep negativity outside.

Stay strong my friend - share your pains with us whenever you need.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

20. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert, I can only echo what others have said. I hate this disease; please get whatever support you can get, wherever you can get it, of course including here. The cutting edge of research seems to be gene therapy, and one never knows where that could end up going.

In the meantime, your family is in my prayers and I am throwing every bit of mojo I can your way. Unfortunately right now there is a bit of a societal backlash against use of pain meds, which too often effects people with legitimate needs like cancer patients. Do what you can to be a strong advocate against anyone who would attempt to block your wife from getting what she needs to be as comfortable as she can be.

Much love.

22. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Brian, I appreciate hearing from you. I think you often, and hope that you are doing well.

Post Thanks / Like

I´m very sorry to hear this Robert! Ta hand om dig och din fina familj!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

25. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Robert,

So sad to hear this news. I can only echo what everyone else has said. Words seem inadequate but I hope you can find the strength to support your wife and daughter through this difficult time.

-Lev
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

27. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear this Robert. i don't know you as well as some others here do, but I hope you will accept thoughts, prayers and virtual hugs from here.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

29. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry to hear your news Robert, Im sure your spending as much time as you can with her. My wife & I will Keep her & you in our prayers. Thank you for sharing

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

On December 26, she earned her wings.

It’s been a long fight and she never gave up.

Post Thanks / Like

All my sincere condoleances dear Robert, I'm deeply sad about these news. I will keep you in my prayers !
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

33. Likes Robert**** liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast