Thread: BOSS KATANA vs FOCUSRITE

Post Thanks / Like

Default BOSS KATANA vs FOCUSRITE

Thinking about getting a new amp and/or recording device within the next year as I would like to start recording myself playing.

I really like the Boss Katana amps with USB connectivity. However, I read some folks discuss recording through their Focusrite Scarlett.

It's all Greek to me and so I come here asking for explanations in layman's terms. I have some amps already. If I use the Focusrite to record off my current amps, does that mean the amp has to have a direct out or line out?

Which is better for recording while I play.....going thru the Katana or the Focusrite. Is one way better than the other?

Feeling dazed and confused. Thanks in advance for any help you all can give.

Post Thanks / Like

Would love to help. Don't know anything about recording to computer, USB, etc.

Good luck! Let us know what you find out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a newer model Scarlett 2i4. I replaced a much loved M-AUDIO 410 with it once the latter no longer functioned properly under Windows 8 and then 10. I run my Katana into the Scarlett and record everything in Tracktion 7. I've played with Katana's USB and tried this and that and found going analog into the Scarlett to work best for me. There are other very good devices aside from Focusrite. Roland makes a fantastic interface as does Edirol. Good luck.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Any reason why you went with the 2i4 and not the Solo or 2i2? Just curious. Do you have occasion to use the MIDI in/out or the Balanced outputs?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Any reason why you went with the 2i4 and not the Solo or 2i2? Just curious. Do you have occasion to use the MIDI in/out or the Balanced outputs?
    Thanks.
    You're going too deep Just a preference to suit my needs and wants.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

6. Likes piebaldpython*** liked this post