Thread: Huge tonal change with amp tipped back

Post Thanks / Like

Default Huge tonal change with amp tipped back

OK, I have to imagine that everyone else knows this, but then again, I've never read anything about it...

Was trying to get a better tone out of the Super Champ XD - just wasn't satisfying, and not like video demos I'v heard. Was thinking of changing the speaker... then had the thought to move it off of the chest that it sits on. In the process I tipped it back against the wall - and I thought that I had a new amp! IT was NOT a SUBTLE change! It gave it a completely different sound - more open, cleaner and brighter. NOW it sounds like I always wished that it would.

SO - is this about the particular speaker beaming certain frequencies in a funneled kind of way (it's a Jensesn C12Q)? Or is this why people mike different areas of the speaker to 'grab' a particular sound that emanated from that part of the speaker?
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

You're on the right path. A bit more complicated than that. It's why many players have their amps off the floor, because the rug or stage can "eat up" your sound.

Read this, might help some.......https://www.mudstand.com/howitworks/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Pie - makes me realize that my amp is also sitting on an empty wooden chest...

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

A number of bass amphs have their cabinets constructed in such a way that they can be set up traditionally or tipped back. I've got both my amphs on chairs for that very reason.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

On a chair - now there's a great idea!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    On a chair - now there's a great idea!
    Yep and we had some old chairs that had been wicker on the seat with a wooden frame. The wicker gave out so my wife replaced the seat with a piece of jean-covered plywood. Awful to sit on, but they worked great for strapping my kids' high chairs to when they needed that. They're all well past that age and the chairs were taken out of storage. What they lack in comfort they make up in amph-holding-up-ability.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski