Thread: Latest Practicing: Sultans of Swing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Latest Practicing: Sultans of Swing

Well as noted in the other thread, my motivation to play is definitely back. I started learning the final lead from the Metal Method course which I had begun but never finished. Unfortunately, there's an legato lick that I jumped into a bit too enthusiastically for someone who hadn't played in a while. I ended up giving myself the guitarist equivalent of tennis elbow. Rather than quit, I moved to something else. I plan on coming back to that later.

So I'm trying to pick up Sultans of Swing. I've been using this lesson I found online [as an aside, he has lessons for a LOT of songs]. The song itself is not violently hard, there's just a lot of fills to memorize. It's about the perfect skill level for me--challenging without being overwhelming. Right now I can play through the introduction and the first verse. Once I smooth it out and find a backing track, I'll record some clips.

The challenge for me is playing this with my fingers. As most of you know, I'm missing my first three fingertips on my right hand. I've gotten used to using my pinkie for hybrid picking. So if a double-stop needs to be plucked, I can use my thumb and pinkie. On some things, I just have to figure out how to make it work. Strumming with my thumb works nicely. I'm liking it way more than I would have thought.

One cool thing: I noticed already that I'm able to figure out somethings later in the song by ear, based on what I learned already. Progress!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Go, Rev, go! That's a pretty good undertaking -
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm progressing slowly but surely. I'm working on the second verse. It's got a fill that isn't fast or anything, but has a number of bends that require precision to make it sound decent. Good thing I've got some callouses built up now, but it's becoming clear that I could use a bit more. Still having fun, playing daily, so that's a good thing!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz

4. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep going Marnold
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome, hope to hear you play it! It's a fun one to play.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    That's awesome, hope to hear you play it! It's a fun one to play.
    Yeah, I want to get some things recorded. One thing I'm working on is keeping the volume even. I'm not used to playing without a pick. Normally the natural compression that comes with distortion with even things out too. Not so much when you're playing clean. The hardest part I'm having is just remembering which fill comes where since there's so many of them. I think I've finally got the "pick" rake at the beginning so that it sounds good. I can do it with a pick easily, but I had to work on the timing with my thumb. I'm also having to invent new muting techniques.

8. Likes Robert**** liked this post