Thread: Playing with Strats

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. I think that's been my history with my Squier '51. I've tried all kinds of mods to get me to love it. Mind you, I like it, but . . .

I'm glad I got a chance to try one with a maple and one with a pau ferro fretboard. I expected to like the maple one better and that it wouldn't be close. The reality was that I wouldn't be happy with the maple board one. The pau ferro one seemed to be much smoother to play even though the other specs are supposed to be the same. Of course, it was somewhat hard to tell because the setup was much worse on the pau ferro one.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

My '99 MIM strat has a maple board which almost seems to have no finish on it (not from wear) - just a very flat, thin satin finish. The one thing I didn't like about my former CV strat with a maple board was the 'stickiness' of the high gloss finish front and back.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    My '99 MIM strat has a maple board which almost seems to have no finish on it (not from wear) - just a very flat, thin satin finish. The one thing I didn't like about my former CV strat with a maple board was the 'stickiness' of the high gloss finish front and back.
    Agreed. I can't stand a glossy finish on a neck. Apparently someone must like them because they make tons of them.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn