Thread: Guitar Or Piano First?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guitar Or Piano First?

I know this topic is brought up a lot, but I'm curious since my son is getting the age where he wants to start playing. Guitar or piano first for my son?

Any feedback is much appreciated, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

How old is your son? Is his musicality average, or is he showing signs of being a natural musician - a Wiz? I think that for those children who manifest an innate serious musical talent, the piano is probably a more advantageous instrument to start with. Otherwise, if he is still pretty young (under 10-11) another great instrument to start with is the ukelele. Much easier to grasp, physically and musically, and to get right into making music with, and the chord shapes will all transfer to the guitar later. Also, it happens to be pretty 'cool' right now, with lots of younger musicians making use of them in pop songs (along with older musicians in other venues!), so it should be an easy sell.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

I would also ask if your son has any particular musical interests. I started on piano in early grade school and hated it. The main reason being is that the only "songs" I learned were awful fake songs in the instruction books. My kids' teachers got them into simplified hymns as early as they could. If I had had that, I know I would have stuck with it. As it was, I rather would have been outside with my friends than inside playing inane songs on the piano.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

4. Likes piebaldpython*** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I started with the clarinet at a very early age and then the piano at ten. I learned classical theory on the piano which ended up being a mixed blessing when I studied jazz theory on the guitar.

It would drive my teacher crazy that I’d think keyboard first at the expense of the guitar fingerboard. Sort of a filter that made it more difficult to automatically play what I was thinking/feeling at the moment and when composing.

Can’t say my folks did it “wrong” but in terms of the OP’s question; I’d say to go with whichever instrument the person most naturally gravitates towards. Piano is a more versatile and complete composing tool but the guitar ain’t no slouch and it’s far more portable.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say, go with the instrument that your son is most interested in.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I would say, go with the instrument that your son is most interested in.
    I would say this is the only right answer. What did your son choose in the end?

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess there's no general statement Guitar is always nice as you can bring one everywhere but musically speaking piano is most likely a solid base
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface