Thread: This is how a Classic 30 is supposed to sound

Post Thanks / Like

Default This is how a Classic 30 is supposed to sound

I made this rough recording right after re-tubing with JJs from Eurotubes. If you remember, I decided to go with an early breakup so one of the preamp tubes (closest to the power tubes) is hotter than the other two.

I used my Schecter PT to record this with cuz I love the GFS Boutique FAT PAFs I installed into it. This is all PT into the Classic 30, no effects. The only time I goofed is at the very end where I used a seperate track and accidentally hit the chorus pedal so it sounds a little weird. This was recorded by mic'ing the amp with a Shure Beta57a direct into my Zoom MRS-8.

Here's the link: http://www.box.net/public/52thjtaxlv
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As always Sting, your playing is excellent and very nice to listen to. I like what you have done to your C-30. If you have time, could you post a clip with your JV similar to your first, clean, C-30 clip in your appreciation thread so I can hear the effect through a guitar a little like mine? I appreciate you sharing the results of your mods! And, its a Neil tune!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

That has to be through the dirty channel?

Sounds nice and ballsy.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Real nice stingx can't wait till that brown truck drops off my gfs fats tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    That has to be through the dirty channel?

Sounds nice and ballsy.
    Correctamundo! Thanks, Spudman. I got the exact tone I wanted just from describing it over the phone. Amazing.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    As always Sting, your playing is excellent and very nice to listen to. I like what you have done to your C-30. If you have time, could you post a clip with your JV similar to your first, clean, C-30 clip in your appreciation thread so I can hear the effect through a guitar a little like mine? I appreciate you sharing the results of your mods! And, its a Neil tune!
    If I get time tomorrow I can do that. You have to keep in mind that my JV uses Tex-Mex pups and they are hotter than pickups on a typical strat. I can get a pretty cool hi-gain tone from them with the C30 cranked...almost humbuckerish. If I use a treble booster it really goes over the top. I prefer to use the clean channel with the Strat and the TS9 to get the bluesy tones ala SRV, etc.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Awesome!

Luv it! Luv Neil Young! He's a Prairie Boy at heart, what can I say

This sounds so very tastey, I think I'm gonna try to learn some Cinnamon Girl! (Also gives my some inspiration to start recording, maybe even with vocals )

Very good. Very good indeed.

KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD!

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    If I get time tomorrow I can do that. You have to keep in mind that my JV uses Tex-Mex pups and they are hotter than pickups on a typical strat. I can get a pretty cool hi-gain tone from them with the C30 cranked...almost humbuckerish. If I use a treble booster it really goes over the top. I prefer to use the clean channel with the Strat and the TS9 to get the bluesy tones ala SRV, etc.

My 60th has tex mex pups also, one reason I love listening to your stuff. I think I recall the JV bridge may be a bit different. I have really been enjoying the clean channel myself when I am playing.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    My 60th has tex mex pups also, one reason I love listening to your stuff. I think I recall the JV bridge may be a bit different. I have really been enjoying the clean channel myself when I am playing.
    Oh...that puts a whole new paintjob on things. I'll post something when I free up time later.

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Great tone sting.... turn up the vocals a bit for me..good voice! as far as the neil young song you picked... sweeeeeet...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.