Thread: Practice idea for learning notes on the neck

Post Thanks / Like

Default Practice idea for learning notes on the neck

I came up with this as something that you can do to test your learning without needing an app to quiz you, but that constantly changes the notes to be identified within a scale and makes you identify all of the notes in the scale on each string.

You start on the low E string and work down across the strings, playing one note of the scale on each string. When you reach the high e string, you rotate back to the Low E and continue with the next note in the scale and repeat (7 times) until you come back to the note you started with on the Low E.

Example: Key of C major (for all the natural notes)

6 5 4 3 2 1 Strings

C D E F G A Notes

B C D E F G

A B C D E F

G A B C D E

F G A B C D

E F G A B C

D E F G A B

C
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

2. Likes Robert**** liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

BTW - I should have added that I wouldn't start with this as a way to learn the notes on the neck - rather begin with Robert's suggestion of tackling one note on the neck at a time, or plot out some patterns of small groupings of notes (for example, if you just mark out all the natural notes on a neck plan, you will see some interesting patterns that can be helpful for remembering them). This is more for testing yourself once you have made a good bit of progress...

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That is a cool idea! I shall try it!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

5. Likes tjcurtin1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No challenge for you, Robert !