Thread: Good thing I'm a packrat

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good thing I'm a packrat

Because I never got rid of my Boss BD-2 (Blues Driver) !!

I've got a few more solos in our newer tunes lately and I used to just get by with attitude and =I-don't-know-what=. But at last practice I realized that during solos the drummer gets all excited and gets way loud. I don't mind this. But now I need to bring back a solo boost pedal. I 'd always used one before in every band I'd been in except this one.
    So of course I put it behind my OD pedal (the Maxon OD-9, up front) and OF COURSE, there's no Volume boost, just more rahhhhhh shhhhhhhh and compression. I know why this is.
    So I go back to my old way, no pedals upfront, amp overdrive only (Love those old E.German RFT's) and try my Bad monkey, my Maxon, and ye old BD-2 in the FX LOOP for a solo boost like I always used to do. It sounds a bit compressed& slightly mushy but the audience don't know eh?

So the Maxon, OK volume boost, tons of compression... the B MOnkey, mucho compression, weak volume boost. THe BD-2 !! Shazam. Turn the gain off, level at only +2, and the tone at about +3...of the three this was the most palatable. It was the old way I used to do it dang I was so smart then ! The thing still has the old white-out pen marks for the right level. Man this BD-2 has some wicked volume level on tap.

I'm a pakrat with pickups too but thats another happy rant for another day.
    (oh yeahh baby back with my SD Custom Custom)
    Strat
    Rivera
    ENGL

Post Thanks / Like

And, if you are interested in making it even more of a tone machine check out the Indyguitarist do it yourself modifications. Listen to the sound clips.
    A very inexpensive way to get a custom BD2.
    http://www.indyguitarist.com/mods.htm

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    And, if you are interested in making it even more of a tone machine check out the Indyguitarist do it yourself modifications. Listen to the sound clips.
    A very inexpensive way to get a custom BD2.
    http://www.indyguitarist.com/mods.htm
    Thanks...yes thats right I forgot!
    I've learned all about this guy on other forums. I'll see how it works next practice and see if I'm more picky about the tone this time around....
    Also cheaper than a Keeley mod and I don't have to send it away !
    I change pickups all the time so hopefully the skills to do the INDY mod aren't too over my head.
    Strat
    Rivera
    ENGL

Post Thanks / Like

My modded BD-2 is by far the best pedal I have ever used great db boost without robbing guitar tone
    This is the mod I have done
    http://www.monteallums.com/Product_links.html#BD2H2O
    Haven't had it in long know enough to say it takes a fair pedal and makes it great
    good mp3 on this site with the mod

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Spud, ever mod that BD I traded you?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Hey Spud, ever mod that BD I traded you?
    Soon. I can hardly stand it the way that it is. Boy did you get the better end of that deal. But I'm not worried because I know when I see you you'll make up for it in beer. That's rock n roll.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.