Thread: Fun New Discoveries

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fun New Discoveries

I watched this video from Rick Beato entitled "You're probably using the wrong guitar strings." It's definitely worth a watch:

That led me to try Boomer 9s on my Tele. I figured that they aren't expensive and locking tuners make it easy to swap sets. Much to my surprise, I really like the 9s, even when tuned to Eb. Much easier to play, especially since I don't get all the time to play that I like. The problem is that now I want to put them on my Jackson, which would involve refloating my Floyd. If I do that, I'm going to look into some higher tension noiseless springs from FU Tone.

Also, my Carvin X60 amph has gotten me to reexperience some gear I haven't touched in a long time. I wiped a protective layer of dust off my Digitech Expression Factory. I spent about an hour just flipping through settings and smiling like a moron. This amph really like pedals. My Jet City is going to feel lonely.

I also tried the Carvin through my Jet City 1x12 cab as well as with both the internal speaker and the cab. It was more of a "look what I can do" thing then necessarily something useful, but I like the fact that I can do it!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Fun with new toys - nothing like it! Sounds like a good BDay score -
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Heh. I must've posted when Robert was updating the look. Anyway. I got 9s on my Jackson. I checked the intonation. Three were spot on. Two were off a smidge. One was quite a bit more off. I forgot how much fun that isn't. After getting it refloated I noticed that I had to adjust the truss rod because now the neck was almost ramrod stiff. And it took me about 20 minutes to find where I hid my 7mm wrench

I was concerned that I'd have to drop a spring (I use four) but as it turns out I didn't have to loosen the claw much. I prefer the stiffer feel plus I think it just keeps everything a lot more stable.

I'm really thankful that Spud told me the trick of using the ball end of the string at the tuning peg. That makes changes a lot easier.

Post Thanks / Like

I changed my 010-052 to 009-048 a while ago due to my arthritis and I like it a lot no more pain when I'm gigging and I can play everyday without pain or trouble. The only tough part is when you play slide there I had the raise a tiny bit the action since the strings tend to flop when turned a whole step down
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface