Thread: Bought my first bass!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bought my first bass!

I bought a Squier Precision bass! I love it!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Good looking family there! Congrats!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Robert. I love the sound of it. I posted a clip in the recording section that I used it on. It plays great also!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. Squier basses aren't too shabby I love my Squier Jazz. Is yours solid black or the metallic black?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

It's the metallic black, Tone. From the basses I tried, it seemed to play the best and have the best sound. Since I've never played bass, though, I'm not qualified to say, it was just the best deal I could find. I definitely like it, no bass sim I've tried on any pedal gets the real bass sound, and most don't track the note true, IMO. They "warble" trying to find the pitch and stay locked on, especially w/ two notes or more in unison.
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    It's the metallic black, Tone. From the basses I tried, it seemed to play the best and have the best sound. Since I've never played bass, though, I'm not qualified to say, it was just the best deal I could find. I definitely like it, no bass sim I've tried on any pedal gets the real bass sound, and most don't track the note true, IMO. They "warble" trying to find the pitch and stay locked on, especially w/ two notes or more in unison.
    You got a good bass there OG. You're gonna love recording with it.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Lookin' good there, especially with a '51 sitting next to it. The picture showed up a tad dark on my screen, so I couldn't tell for sure, but it looks like it has both P and J pickups. Is that correct? If so, that is one of the nicest pickup combinations I have ever found.

Anyway, I was over at one of the local guitar shops tonight, and they had taken in a Squier five string P-Bass. Very pretty, but talk about a wide neck! The neck on this bass was wider than a six string Peavey they had.

I too acquired a new bass today, but I'll save that for its own thread.

Thump loudly!
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Say, oldguy, how's things comin' with your bass? Now that you've had it almost a month, what do you think of it? Was I right that it's a P-J setup? Give us an update.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by r_a_smith3530
    Say, oldguy, how's things comin' with your bass? Now that you've had it almost a month, what do you think of it? Was I right that it's a P-J setup? Give us an update.

I'm happy with it, Rob. Yes, it is a P/J setup, and gets some nice sounds. I've adjusted the truss rod once, it plays more to my liking with just a tad bit of neck relief. Since I never played bass before this, I just lowered the strings and adjusted the neck to where it felt good to me.
    Of course, I'm now GASSing for a good portable bass amp so I can take it with me and practice more when I'm around friends.
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

glad you are still liking your bass...i notice that alot of you guitar fretters (six-string) also have bass guitars....might have to get me one (although i should learn how to play the six stringers better first!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Well, on the one hand Warren, the bass is 2 strings less to learn...
    On the other hand, on guitar you might miss a beat and nobody notices...
    on bass, it gets noticed pretty quick if you drop the beat and the bottom falls out...
    But I do think you need a bass, Warren, you really do...
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    But I do think you need a bass, Warren, you really do...
    hey i've got a couple of ukuleles so i am technically covered in the 4 stringed instrument category!

of course if i get a bass i will have to get a bass amp too....don't want to blow up my guitar amps!

ww
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    hey i've got a couple of ukuleles so i am technically covered in the 4 stringed instrument category!

of course if i get a bass i will have to get a bass amp too....don't want to blow up my guitar amps!

ww
    I understand your predicament. Perhaps you need a fiddle instead, (or violin, if you prefer). Again, only 4 strings to learn, only upside down. G,D,A,E, top to bottom. Once you master the bowing technique, you only need to deal with the scale length.
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

i think i will try and learn this darn guitar thing first....but i probably will get a bass sometime...but it is not high on my gear list!

ww

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728
    i think i will try and learn this darn guitar thing first....but i probably will get a bass sometime...but it is not high on my gear list!

ww
    Bass is a nice instrument... I think you will like it.
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

I dunno, I don't like squiers much, I played a couple, not worth buying for me though. Just didn't sound good.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25