Thread: How to Break Your Floyd Without Really Trying

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to Break Your Floyd Without Really Trying

While messing around on my Jackson yesterday, I found one problem with using four springs and 9s. I pulled up on the bar. I didn't think I went crazy, but all of the sudden two of the four springs fell out. It was a bit of a pain to get them back in again. I may have to go to three springs and see if the tension is good enough for me.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that breaking your Floyd (is that a euphemism?) would cause plenty of tension all by itself... I hate when that happens
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    I would think that breaking your Floyd (is that a euphemism?)
    If it isn't, it should be!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I also noticed that after that, my bridge was crooked, with the treble side being farther off the body than the bass side. I was able to push it back into place, which leads me to believe that the mounting stud or the insert pulled out a bit. I don't think it would be a huge issue since the tension will be toward the nut instead of away from the body of the guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after all this time I finally got around to going to three springs and refloating it. It wasn't that hard actually. I found that the handle of one of my screwdrivers made a perfect block for the trem. With three springs it seems to have plenty of resistance, which I like. I also like being able to palm mute without the bridge moving. I'll test it some more but I think it's a keeper this way. Then I'll have to decide if I want to put two new holes in the trem cavity for my trem stop.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah palm muting with the bridge moving is very important! Good to hear the update from you. Rawk on!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.