Thread: ngd ... relatively at least

Post Thanks / Like

Default ngd ... relatively at least

Hope you are all healthy and happy in the challenging times.

Thought I would riff on my most recent acquisition, traded for some cash and an underused American Strat -- which didn't bring as much as they used to .. another story.

Anyway, this is the Godin Montreal Premiere. Heard it on a cupla utube clips, checked it out, quite liked it. happy to find a Canadian axe, non disrespect all to our U.S. friends or the many other places that are making good guitars these days.

First, some specs:

Canadian wild cherry back, sided top, very hard wood and bright sounding acoustically, which doesn't turn my crank. but as you can see it looks great. the guts are carved sitka spruce, so if you like the smell of fragrant wood, you will like the smell of this baby. The carving refers to the centre block, which is carved underneath to allow more easy reverberation. Picture an ancient Roman aqueduct and you get the idea. Overall this construction makes for a guitar that is quite loud acoustically if that matters to you, and extremely light. Probably the lightest guitar I own.

Fingerboard is a comfortable Rosewood

24.75 scale. Most of my guitars are not short scale, but I don't mind this one at all.

Graph tech nut, which I like a lot

Seymour Duncan Jazz SH-2n neck -- just what you would expect. smoky late night lounge, when pushed jumps nicely to Santana et al

Seymour Duncan '59 SH-1b bridge -- very interesting pup. A little spiky, but when you roll the tone back a bit it loses all that and becomes smooth and almost creamy. It needs a tweak to optimize sound but well worth it.

three way switch and only one tone control, which might turn some people off but I didn't mind it in this case. The controls are very sensitive and when used together there's a tonne of tone ranges. Still, you want ultimate flexibility not the best choice.

Worth noting the middle sound, which is not quacky but a nice blend of both pups. Excellent for rhythm and lighter melody parts, but does not cut like the bridge or butter like the neck.

Here' some pix, then I will add one short clip, a bit for reach switch position. Nbridge, middle then neck. Clean to start, then some drive. This is through a Vox Ac30 amp

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

https://app.box.com/s/zqel3etk1up12k53olpafeprzo00hmg9
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! I've heard good things about those Godin guitars. Enjoy!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Godin makes really beautiful guitars - I have lusted after several models over the years, but never ended up with one. I'd be interested to hear this git through a Fender amp, too, or maybe your Peavey...

Does it come with the SD pickups stock?
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Are you going to tell the 'other story' about the Strat value in another thread??

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

as requested, through a fender twin.

https://app.box.com/s/budobeo3lt5hunjzbre455lmwqnrzdxc

As far as I know the Duncans are standard in this Montreal model.

Forgot to note a couple things I don't like. The strap knobs are old school tiny. and the input jack is el cheapo. has already needed tightening a couple of times. a guitar of this price and quality should have a better jack -- reinforced lock washers and plate like my prs guitars, for example.

As for the Strat story, that was more a figure of speech than a full story. I have found in past that US built guitars hold their value pretty well. when I priced the trade in for this pretty mint 40th anniversary Strat, I was not thrilled and asked the sales guy. he said they can't get the price they used to get for them, therefore the trade value is lower. no idea how legit this is, but by that point I was laser focused in getting the Godin, so it did not matter a huge a
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

as requested, through a fender twin. fairly clean from bridge to neck, then heavier amp overdrive

https://app.box.com/s/zqel3etk1up12k53olpafeprzo00hmg9

As far as I know the Duncans are standard in this Montreal model.

Forgot to note a couple things I don't like. The strap knobs are old school tiny. and the input jack is el cheapo. has already needed tightening a couple of times. a guitar of this price and quality should have a better jack -- reinforced lock washers and plate like my prs guitars, for example.

As for the Strat story, that was more a figure of speech than a full story. I have found in past that US built guitars hold their value pretty well. when I priced the trade in for this pretty mint 40th anniversary Strat, I was not thrilled and asked the sales guy. he said they can't get the price they used to get for them, therefore the trade value is lower. no idea how legit this is, but by that point I was laser focused in getting the Godin, so it did not matter a huge a
    helliott in Hamilton

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks for taking the time to do that, Helliott! Great sound through the twin, but then I love that sound of a Fender amp... Wouldn't know that it was a 'jazz box' that we're listening to there!

Interesting to hear about the Strat trade value; I've read a couple of pieces on the questionable future of the guitar market as people of a certain age cohort thin out and their stuff goes on the market...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks for taking the time to do that, Helliott! Great sound through the twin, but then I love that sound of a Fender amp... Wouldn't know that it was a 'jazz box' that we're listening to there!

Interesting to hear about the Strat trade value; I've read a couple of pieces on the questionable future of the guitar market as people of a certain age cohort thin out and their stuff goes on the market...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that cohort thing ... That would be me. The Godin does sound lovely soft and clean, mind you. It can be Lucille or dirty Lucille.
    helliott in Hamilton