Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
static from pick guard ?

Thread: static from pick guard ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default static from pick guard ?

What do you think ? My Nashville seems to generate some anoying static scratchiness if I rub the pick guard. Seems worse if I have the middle p/u switched in.
    What say yee ?

thanks

Ted

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, gotta learn to search before asking..

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...ghlight=static

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Sorry, gotta learn to search before asking..

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...ghlight=static
    The search button is your friend!

This is the time of year you'll run into this--humidity levels in cold climates can get really low, making static a much bigger problem. Besides the obvious guitar grounding enhancements, rubbing down the pickguard with a clothes dryer anti-cling sheet really does work very well!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=duhvoodooman]The search button is your friend!

Ya, but the search button doesn't send any

Post Thanks / Like

Use a "Bounce" dryer cloth to drain the static. Or.........................humidify the room you play in.

I get that once in a while on very dry days.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we've past the most humid season here, I still have it. I'm going to have to rule out lack of humidity and start pointing to the pick guard material itself. The bounce sheet does rectify for a period though.
    Love the guitar but the pick guard drives me nuts. My $99 Jay Turser Strat never has a static issue.. go figure..

Post Thanks / Like

I can't play Strats for that reason, and none of the folk remedies (Bounce sheet, anti-cling laundry spray, anti-static electronics spray, etc.) will prevent it. Shielding the cavity does not help. Those things work for a lot of people, and those things work so well for so many people, that those people become convinced that those things will work for everyone--but they won't.

AND just like your guitar, ted s, it's only on the middle Strat pickup of my Nashville Tele that I have a static problem.
    However, though the entire guard can become charged on a Strat pickguard, I isolated the problem on my Tele to being present only when my finger brushed against (in my case) the lower mounting screw of the Strat pup.

I cut a very small piece of black electrical tape and covered the head of the screw. That solved the problem.

Try that and see if it works for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, lower screw, same here. Something I've tried since posting above, under the pickguard, I made a wire connection between that blasted middle pup screw and the tone/switch plate. The static from the guard is less but the popping and cracking from touching that screw is GONE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Highway_61
    I can't play Strats for that reason, and none of the folk remedies (Bounce sheet, anti-cling laundry spray, anti-static electronics spray, etc.) will prevent it. Shielding the cavity does not help. Those things work for a lot of people, and those things work so well for so many people, that those people become convinced that those things will work for everyone--but they won't.

Sure it does. Works like a charm. Then again static is probably subjective also.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

This may be stupid asking but I will anyway. Do all Strats have the metal foil on the underside of the pickguard? I recently changed my pickguard on a new one and transferred the metal backing. This guitar does not have static at all. I know what you are complaining about because I have had guitars in the past that do this. That drives me nuts!

vinni
    You don't need a different guitar!
    You need a different guitar pick!

www.v-picks.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for reminding me Vinni, I keep meaning to do that with my Tele, it has none but cheapi Strat does, go figure..

Post Thanks / Like

You might like these, I had good results.

http://www.monteallums.com/sheilding...html#pickguard

Post Thanks / Like

good to know, thanks chordshredder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Sure it does. Works like a charm. Then again static is probably subjective also.
    No, sorry; it won't.
    It must work 99.9 % of the time or people wouldn't recommend it to others, but those things will not work for me.
    I promise you that I have tried. I truly think I have a bit of an electrical charge. I get a spark when I put the key into the lock of my front door when I come home. I get a spark when I get out of my car.
    I have tried all of the remedies, and I can testify that "always" (as in this remedy will always work) does not apply.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm as electrically charged as you...same thing...get out of the truck, touch the body and zizzz get the shock. I'm surprised I haven't blown up while gassing up but I swear to you that rubbing bounce sheets on a pickguard and properly shielding your guitar cavity and pickguard should help. I would agree with you with that 99.9 % figure though...for what it's worth. *shrugs*
    Last edited by Tone2TheBone; November 23rd, 2007 at 12:07 AM.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Highway;
    we had some carpet at work that was shocking everyone, we had rubber covers on the door knobs even. we started spraying the room every day with a fine mist from a trigger head spray bottle with a concotion of one drop of liquid detergent per gallon it helped a lot. you might try that if you have carpet.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, you guys are great: differences of opinion don't automatically become heated arguments here. That's very much appreciated.