Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Rebuilding my pedal board(s). Nice vid for inspiration.

Thread: Rebuilding my pedal board(s). Nice vid for inspiration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Rebuilding my pedal board(s). Nice vid for inspiration.

I like these Brits. They are industry insiders who market exactly to me, middle to older guys who are not all THAT experienced. But they do a good job, and are pretty fun to watch. I am rebuilding my board and found this interesting. Hits all the points to consider. Pretty fun to watch, and they get some pretty nice tones when they test out their work in the end!

https://youtu.be/y_Ymybn-8jA

Also, I am still a pedal board and stomp box guy, though my old Line 6 M9 is kind of a Swiss Army knife pedal as a part of it. You won’t find me going to a Helix. I like the visuals of twisting the individual knobs, and messing with @Duhvoodooman’s crazy Screaming Yellow Zonker and Rabid Rodent I have loved all these years, along with my other favorite stuff. Are you guys using stomp boxes or going with the Helix or modeling sort of thing?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Those guys are awesome indeed.

I use pedals like in the old days when I play through an amp. However, I use the AxeFx II for 99% of my tones, since I just play at home nowadays. That's an excellent unit. The other big two would be the Kemper and Helix, as you probably know.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I use pedals like in the old days when I play through an amp. However, I use the AxeFx II for 99% of my tones, since I just play at home nowadays. That's an excellent unit. The other big two would be the Kemper and Helix, as you probably know.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Yeah, I am aware of the Helix, but don’t really know about the AxeFx II or Kemper. Will check them out just because. I have an old Line 6 M9 I can use for at least some stuff too, so I don’t buy pedals I would probably rarely use, but can still try out sounds. Like phasers, flangers, etc. and I should play with that thing more and see if I can just use it at home sometimes or just as an alternative. I already own it so may as well finally learn what all it can do. I think I can download a firmware upgrade too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I subscribe to them too. Although, to be fair (and pedantic) one is English and the other is Australian, but who's keep score? They had a cool video a while back with unexpected things you could do with pedals. One was rolling back the volume in the middle position of a P90 guitar through a pretty cranked fuzz pedal. Sounded like an acoustic. Weird.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    I subscribe to them too. Although, to be fair (and pedantic) one is English and the other is Australian, but who's keep score? They had a cool video a while back with unexpected things you could do with pedals. One was rolling back the volume in the middle position of a P90 guitar through a pretty cranked fuzz pedal. Sounded like an acoustic. Weird.
    Yeah, I realized the Aussie part watching a vid yesterday. That is a cool tip. Will try that with the neck P90 in my tele.

Right now, I am trying to learn how best to stack different gain/distortion/dirt pedals to good effect. Using my Catalinbread foundation pedals as the primary sound shaping "foundation" and then shaping sound for what I want from there with my Rabid Rodent, 'Screamer, DS-1, Fuzz, whatever.

I don't know why, but my replies seem to be showing up twice. Hmm. Will delete one.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I still love my tube amphs thru an analog board , and have some decent pedals, but am converted to helix thru good monitors at home.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

I still love my tube amphs thru an analog board , and have some decent pedals, but am converted to helix thru good monitors at home. As in
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

9. Likes sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I know a lot of people have. Even if I sold everything analog, I would be owing still a lot of money to get a helix, and I like twisting actual knobs and flipping or stepping on actual switches, so though I do have some mult-fx, (M9), I will likely stick with the old analog stuff.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some update pics of the projects over the weekend. The smaller board is more intended for the Peavey-C30, and the larger board is more for the Fender Concert. There may be some winnowing and consolidation as I have some cross over. But certain effects just work better with one or the other amp.

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some update pics of the projects over the weekend. The smaller board is more intended for the Peavey-C30, and the larger board is more for the Fender Concert. There may be some winnowing and consolidation as I have some cross over. But certain effects just work better with one or the other amp.

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm. Not getting the pics to work. Will have to try later.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well, here is a link to pictures anyway. https://photos.app.goo.gl/V4JeCRH8wRYmvrRg6
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Love your pedal boards. On your big board, what is the pedal to the right of your RR..and the pedal to the left of your MXR CC?

I am partial to stompboxes myself. For all intents and purposes, I don't use delay, reverb, chorus, flange, etc other than I might use a Donner Yellow Fall delay pedal if using a tube amp. Set it to just minimal slapback as that gives a slight ambience. Mainly, I use a preamp pedal, maybe foundation pedal(s), OD and very occasionally a fuzz.

16. Likes sunvalleylaw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Deleted dup
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by piebaldpython View Post
    Love your pedal boards. On your big board, what is the pedal to the right of your RR..and the pedal to the left of your MXR CC?

I am partial to stompboxes myself. For all intents and purposes, I don't use delay, reverb, chorus, flange, etc other than I might use a Donner Yellow Fall delay pedal if using a tube amp. Set it to just minimal slapback as that gives a slight ambience. Mainly, I use a preamp pedal, maybe foundation pedal(s), OD and very occasionally a fuzz.

Hey, PBP! Yeah, I like the stomp boxes too. I am trying to explore the M9 a lot more, and resist buying anything I think the M9 can do pretty well, but the simplicity and visual nature of an individual box tends to attract me. Right now, I am trying to figure out how to program a “Janglebox” pedal, which has compression, and some boost/treble boost in it into the M9. But I struggle with the compression aspect a little. Never really used one before. and somehow, looking at adjusting levels on that little screen on the upper right is less satisfying than turning a knob. BUT, that thing has a lot of stuff in it for me to try, without buying stuff if I just push through that laziness.

To the right of the Rodent is a DOD Carcosa, which is a fuzz that is quite versatile and could be used as a base tone pedal. Much less all on or all off as my EHX Lil’ Big Muff tends to be. It also can make things quite heavy (Think the band All Them Witches, for example).

To the left of the Carbon Copy is a Digitech Polara, which is a nice little reverb modeler. I was using spring reverb in my M9 before (the Fender Concert amp I am using this board with does not have a reverb, instead having a preamp based Vibrato with actual pitch shifting occurring), and could have just stayed with that, but the used Polara was a good deal, and has nice buffer, a lot of flexibility and different models in it, even more than the M9, to try. Not necessary, but I have it and like it. It also has stereo capability if I wanted that. So does the CE-5. So yeah, some duplication on the board, but that’s ok. The idea was to get stuff put together a lot better so I could experiment and see what I want.

Thinking the M9 will be a modulation section of the board in large part, and will end up being between CE5 and CC or between the CC and Polara, to leave that reverb last. Right now the M9 is last other than the Trio+, and as said, I think I will change that.

Right now, I am using the Catalinbread F55 as a tone foundation, as it is modeling a tweed 5E3 preamp circuit, and so shapes the tone of my brown Fender 4x10 and gets some nice tone and support that is really controllable via the guitar volume knob, at lower volumes. and then stacks really nicely with the other dirt. I do think I will move the ZYS after the C-bread to use as boost, both the screamer side and the boost side, depending on what I want, and put the little Spark boost earlier in the chain to hit the dirt pedals and drive them when I want. Gonna keep playing with those concepts.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, a pedal that has taken up permanent residence (at least for now!) in my chain is a DIY build from Aion Electronics called the Lumin Sonic Enhancer. It's a work-alike circuit for the BBE Sonic Stomp, a pedal that had long interested me but which I'd never owned. It's difficult to describe exactly what it does to your signal--I'd say it just seems to make it "step forward" and give it more immediacy, if that makes any sense. I just buy the PCB ($12) from Aion and source the other parts from Mouser and Tayda. Aion even gives you a downloadable Mouser parts list on the product page (which they seem to do for pretty much all their PCB's). But if you're not a DIY'er, you can always go with the original BBE pedal.

Here's a pretty good video of how the circuit works:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Today, I will be exploring the Line 6 M9 more. I like where it is physically placed, but may change how the cables have it routed. Right now, it is at the end of the chain, before the Trio+. Thinking I will put it before the Polara (reverb), Carbon Copy, and CE-5 (in truth the CE-5 may leave the board after I get more used to the choruses in the M9). I like the Polara for Reverb, and the Carbon Copy is just a really nice sounding delay. So I think they stay.

Thinking I will be setting up some scenes using the Modulation effects, and maybe adding in some compression (trying to make a janglebox Roger McGuinn sort of sound, may add a pitch shifter or frequency shifter too to try to fake a 12 string) and things like that. And also see what else I like out of the modulation and time based effects.

As when I first got it, I prefer my own dirt boxes and such. But there is more I can get out of this thing, before I buy any more specific pedals in the modulation/time based sort of arenas.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Hey, PBP! Yeah, I like the stomp boxes too. I am trying to explore the M9 a lot more, and resist buying anything I think the M9 can do pretty well, but the simplicity and visual nature of an individual box tends to attract me. Right now, I am trying to figure out how to program a “Janglebox” pedal, which has compression, and some boost/treble boost in it into the M9. But I struggle with the compression aspect a little. Never really used one before. and somehow, looking at adjusting levels on that little screen on the upper right is less satisfying than turning a knob. BUT, that thing has a lot of stuff in it for me to try, without buying stuff if I just push through that laziness.

To the right of the Rodent is a DOD Carcosa, which is a fuzz that is quite versatile and could be used as a base tone pedal. Much less all on or all off as my EHX Lil’ Big Muff tends to be. It also can make things quite heavy (Think the band All Them Witches, for example).

To the left of the Carbon Copy is a Digitech Polara, which is a nice little reverb modeler. I was using spring reverb in my M9 before (the Fender Concert amp I am using this board with does not have a reverb, instead having a preamp based Vibrato with actual pitch shifting occurring), and could have just stayed with that, but the used Polara was a good deal, and has nice buffer, a lot of flexibility and different models in it, even more than the M9, to try. Not necessary, but I have it and like it. It also has stereo capability if I wanted that. So does the CE-5. So yeah, some duplication on the board, but that’s ok. The idea was to get stuff put together a lot better so I could experiment and see what I want.

Thinking the M9 will be a modulation section of the board in large part, and will end up being between CE5 and CC or between the CC and Polara, to leave that reverb last. Right now the M9 is last other than the Trio+, and as said, I think I will change that.

Right now, I am using the Catalinbread F55 as a tone foundation, as it is modeling a tweed 5E3 preamp circuit, and so shapes the tone of my brown Fender 4x10 and gets some nice tone and support that is really controllable via the guitar volume knob, at lower volumes. and then stacks really nicely with the other dirt. I do think I will move the ZYS after the C-bread to use as boost, both the screamer side and the boost side, depending on what I want, and put the little Spark boost earlier in the chain to hit the dirt pedals and drive them when I want. Gonna keep playing with those concepts.
    Just curious as to how you compare the Catalinbread Formula 5 to their Forumla 55. I have the Formula 5 and it gives that mid-50s Tweed sound with a loose bottom end. Just wondering what the difference is between the two.